uxpans

Default Sears G. Door Opener Won't Go Down With Remote - Updated

I posted this a few days ago and have an update. I hope you will forgive me
for re-posting before the original post falls of the server but it seems to
have at least fallen off the radar.

Original problem:
When I hit the remote control, the door barely moves down (1/4 inch) then
the light bulb flashes 10 times. I'm still looking for the meaning of that
flashing. The door will go _up_ just fine with the remote.

The wall switch works perfectly every time, up or down. I do not have to
hold the button down on the wall switch.

It seems to me that these symptoms lead to conflicting conclusions:

- It can't be the safety sensors because the door will go down fine using
the wall switch.

- It can't be that the remote signal is weak because the remote will open
the door every time.

- It can't be that the down force is weak because again, the door goes down
with the wall switch.

I cleared and re-set the remote code but no difference. I've been at this
for several weeks and am really stuck so _Any_ suggestions would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Here's what I did:

-switched positions of sensors; no change

-ran a new wire from the sensors to the main unit in case the in wall wire
was damaged; no change

Then I removed one sensor and rubber banded it to the other sensor so that
they are eye to eye, now I can not get it to fail. ??

Of course this bypasses the safety feature but it seems to suggest that the
sensors were either not lined up, or damaged in some way so that either the
sending or receiving eye is weak.

The only problem with that is, they are new sensors and I did line them up
when installing. I'm not sure what else I can do to align them except put
them in the
brackets, point them at each other and rotate them until I get the solid
green light.

Is there more to lining up sensors than meets the eye? Sorry for the pun,
have to keep the post entertaining to folks don't lose interest. Thanks to
those who have offered advice so far. If no one has any other thoughts I
may consider shipping the sensors back to the store and tell them they don't
work when far apart.

Joseph Meehan

uxpans wrote:
I posted this a few days ago and have an update. I hope you will
forgive me for re-posting before the original post falls of the
server but it seems to have at least fallen off the radar.

Original problem:
When I hit the remote control, the door barely moves down (1/4 inch)
then the light bulb flashes 10 times. I'm still looking for the
meaning of that flashing. The door will go _up_ just fine with the
remote.

The wall switch works perfectly every time, up or down. I do not
have to hold the button down on the wall switch.

It seems to me that these symptoms lead to conflicting conclusions:

- It can't be the safety sensors because the door will go down fine
using the wall switch.

I believe your conclusion is wrong. Will it go down using the wall
switch if your just tap it and not hold it down. I believe some garage
doors will override the safety features if you HOLD the button down, which
you can't do with the remote.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve IA

uxpans wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you're doing a good job trouble shooting. If your wall
switch is the 3 button PREMIUM console. It could be locked which will
prevent remotes from working. Hold the button on the lower right for 2
seconds to lock/unlock.
Could it be that the wall switch is bad and not the remote? Have you
other remotes? Do they all do the same?

Couple of thoughts from my manual. Wall switch wires connect to
terminal 1 and 2 on the opener. Sensor wires connect to terminal 2 and
3.

Your remote may need to be reprogrammed to the opener. 1. Press and hold
the remote push button. 2. Press and release the SRT (learn) button on
the back panel of the opener. The opener light will flash once. 3.
Release the remote button.

If you don't have a manual, one can be ordered
http://www3.sears.com/

Good luck, let us know.

Steve
41N
paxton

"Steve IA" wrote in message
uxpans wrote:

[...]

I did clear the memory on the opener and re-teach the remote code but no
change. I only have the one opener, lost the other one at some point. The
wall button is not locked. Thanks for the info from your manual. I
contacted the online store about the sensor problem www.imdoors.com

To me, the fact that the door works when the sensors are right in front of
each other, but not when far apart pretty much says that it's a sensor
problem. I considered the remote too but if the remote was bad, why would
the remote work when the sensors are less than 1 inch apart and not when the
sensors are placed at the width of the door? How does the remote know where
the sensors are?

All I know for sure is that I won't buy a Sears GDO again.

John

paxton wrote:

[...]

I would return the photocells. It sounds like thats what the problem is.
It wouldnt be the first time that I bought something that was broken.
Good Luck

Sears G. Door Opener Won't Go Down With Remote paxton Home Repair 5 January 12th 05 09:09 AM
Sears Ace Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 05:42 PM
Problem with Sears Garage Door Opener and Clicker remote David McWilliams Home Repair 1 August 6th 04 10:27 PM
Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener Remote Control FYI SpongeBob SquarePants Rules! Home Repair 0 March 22nd 04 03:41 AM
Sears Garage Door Opener, Remote Keypad Problem John W. Wells Home Repair 7 June 25th 03 04:37 AM