Bob

Default Removing ceramic floor tile from concrete slab

I would like to remove and replace with new tile in my kitchen. Is there a
device that I can rent that would make this easier to remove without
breaking my back? I dread breaking each tile with a hammer and chiseling up
the old thinnset and patching the pot marks before installing new tile. The
kitchen is approximately 14 by 10. Thanks a lot for your help.

Charles Spitzer

"Bob" wrote in message
I would like to remove and replace with new tile in my kitchen. Is there a
device that I can rent that would make this easier to remove without
breaking my back? I dread breaking each tile with a hammer and chiseling
up
the old thinnset and patching the pot marks before installing new tile.
The
kitchen is approximately 14 by 10. Thanks a lot for your help.

electric chipping hammer. you don't have to patch too well, after all, it's
going to be hidden by the new tile. you just want it reasonably flat. you
may have to grind it down. ask at the tool rental place.

SQLit

"Bob" wrote in message
I would like to remove and replace with new tile in my kitchen. Is there

device that I can rent that would make this easier to remove without
breaking my back? I dread breaking each tile with a hammer and chiseling

up
the old thinnset and patching the pot marks before installing new tile.

The
kitchen is approximately 14 by 10. Thanks a lot for your help.

There are floor scrapers that are made for vinyl tile. Like a drywall
knife. You need one like this only with a smaller blade. I have a digging
bar that has a spade on one end and a bell on the other. Weights about 60
pounds. When removing tile I break out enough with the hammer to get the bar
started then just slide it along the concrete until it hits the tile.
You will have pieces all over so cover and plastic everything that you do
not want to clean

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCatego...=379&MCID=1618

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...fo/tools6.html

PJx

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:10:11 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I would like to remove and replace with new tile in my kitchen. Is there a
device that I can rent that would make this easier to remove without
breaking my back? I dread breaking each tile with a hammer and chiseling up
the old thinnset and patching the pot marks before installing new tile. The
kitchen is approximately 14 by 10. Thanks a lot for your help.

Your typical air compressor tool set usually has an air hammer tool
with a chisel tip that will make short work of the ceramic tile with
little damage to the floor.