Default Microwave Cannot Start

I have an 14-years-old GoldStar microwave that I bought in 1991.
Normally, I could hit the Start button, it would light up, it would
start making noise, its turn-table would start spinning, and it would
heat the food/drink. But one week ago, it started acting up. Now, when
I hit the Start button, it will still light up; but it will make very
little noise, its turn-table doesn't spin, and it will not heat the
food/drink doesn't matter how long it has run.

Sometimes, I can start working again if I manually spin the turntable
before hitting the Start button, or if I pause it and restart it. But
these little tricks rarely work. As a matter of fact, these tricks seem
to have stopped working completely.

I have tried using different power outlets, with or without using a
power extension cord; but these don't make any difference.

What should I do? Does this mean this microwave is taking a
well-deserved retirement?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Noozer

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an 14-years-old GoldStar microwave that I bought in 1991.

It's dead. Time for a new one.

Matt

Jay -

Recc. you chuck it; 14 years is an adequate life for a microwave. If
you want to keep it, I advise you take it to a service center for
repair.... given the cost of new, it wouldn't make financial sense to
repair it, however unless you are familiar with the operation of high
voltage power supplies, and how to deal with them, playing around with
the guts and/or replacing parts would not be a wise idea.

Edwin Pawlowski

What should I do? Does this mean this microwave is taking a
well-deserved retirement?

You can probably get it serviced for $150 but . . . . .
For $75 you can buy one with twice the power and twice the features.

Thanks everyone who has responded.

Seem like the only sensible thing that I should do is to get rid of it.
Luckily, a new one on ly costs $50, and I only use it for simple
things like reheating soup.

I was hoping that I can fix it by doing some simple things like moving
the microwave to face south, hitting the Start button three
times...etc I guess this is not that simple.

Jay Chan