Default Outlet in kitchen acting wierd

Please bear with me, because I will completely butcher the names of
things...Ok, here goes

I've got an outlet in my kitechen that has a T and R button. One of the
plugs always works, the other plug sometimes goes out and I need to push the
T then the R button to get it to work. Does this outlet need to be
replaced?

Paul Franklin

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:00:09 -0800, "g" wrote:

Please bear with me, because I will completely butcher the names of
things...Ok, here goes

I've got an outlet in my kitechen that has a T and R button. One of the
plugs always works, the other plug sometimes goes out and I need to push the
T then the R button to get it to work. Does this outlet need to be
replaced?

You have a GFCI protected outlet (ground fault circuit interruptor).
It is designed to protect you from electical shock in the event you
accidently come in contact with the electricity because of a bad cord,
applicance, or other problem. They have been required in kitchens in
other damp locations for many years.

The T button (Test) is for testing proper operation; when you push it,
the electricity to both receptacles should turn off. The T button
simulates the type of problem the device is intended to protect
against.

The R button (Reset) restore proper operation after a test, or a real
problem occurs.

Both receptacles in the outlet should act the same. If not, then
there is a problem with the GFCI and it should be replaced. This
doesn't mean there isn't also a problem with whatever it is you are
plugging into the outlet, but from the symptoms you describe, it is
most likely just a bad GFCI.

HTH,

Paul

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:17:26 -0500, Paul Franklin
wrote:

[...]

imho:

Good advice. If a GFCI is 'faulty' in behavor, just like any safety
device ti should be 'failing' in a safe condition. This case tripped.
If the GFCI's are over 10 old in you house, you might want to have all
of them tested, and if this one you are working on is acting up, get
it replaced. This inconvience isn't expensive to replace, plus it's a
peace of mind issue.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

HTH,

Paul

Dan Bolt

wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like someone wired the power to the load side. Check
that first.

Dan
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus13229 wrote:
I had such a faulty GFCI on the hot tub. It would trip at random
moments. I was very inexperienced then and spent a long asking
questions on this newsgroup and testing this and that. Finally it
dawned on me to replace the GFCI and see if it would help. Magically,
it did, now it's been a year and the spa never trips.

My system is a regular 110V 15A spa.

You may have had a GFCI with a trip level close to the 4 ma lower
leakage limit than the 6 ma upper limit.

There's some pretty good "hands on" stuff about GFCIs he

http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_think_gfci/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia