Paul Franklin

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:00:09 -0800, "g" wrote:

Please bear with me, because I will completely butcher the names of
things...Ok, here goes

I've got an outlet in my kitechen that has a T and R button. One of the
plugs always works, the other plug sometimes goes out and I need to push the
T then the R button to get it to work. Does this outlet need to be
replaced?

You have a GFCI protected outlet (ground fault circuit interruptor).
It is designed to protect you from electical shock in the event you
accidently come in contact with the electricity because of a bad cord,
applicance, or other problem. They have been required in kitchens in
other damp locations for many years.

The T button (Test) is for testing proper operation; when you push it,
the electricity to both receptacles should turn off. The T button
simulates the type of problem the device is intended to protect
against.

The R button (Reset) restore proper operation after a test, or a real
problem occurs.

Both receptacles in the outlet should act the same. If not, then
there is a problem with the GFCI and it should be replaced. This
doesn't mean there isn't also a problem with whatever it is you are
plugging into the outlet, but from the symptoms you describe, it is
most likely just a bad GFCI.

HTH,

Paul