Rob Gray

Default Replacing Gutter on Slate Roof

My old farmhouse has a slate roof and currently has galvenized,
half-round gutters that sit in a steel support brackets/"shanks" that
were mounted under the slate back when the slate roof was installed
about 75 years ago. Picture a thin piece of metal protruding along the
line of the roof from below the slates, and then it dips into a
half-round shape once it clears the roofline in front of the facia board
where the metal gutter rests. These galvenized gutters work well, but
they tend to rust out every 7 or 8 years which is a pain. I am thinking
of putting half-round copper gutters in place of them, but I don't think
I can use the same steel support "shanks" that are currently being used
due to the interaction of the metals when I introduce copper gutters.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to install new gutter support
"shanks" under slates or if it is even possible?

Rob
NE PA
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Rob Gray -
[...]

- Nehmo -
Cut off the old shanks. Support the new gutters by attaching the
supports to the fascia board. You don't need to go under the slate with
certain kinds of supports.
This place has some pics:
http://slateandcopper.com/BB_half_ro...er_hangers.htm
I like the seahorse:
http://slateandcopper.com/Majewski/n...%20bracket.jpg
You realize, of course, Cu will turn green. Make sure you look at some
old Cu gutters to see if that's what you really want.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Plastic panel roof - correct gutter overhang Richard Savage UK diy 2 August 30th 04 11:32 AM
When to Replace a Slate roof? Rob Gray Home Repair 8 August 22nd 04 01:19 AM
Slate Roof Question Grur Home Repair 8 March 16th 04 10:56 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 02:18 PM
Replacing copper gutter under slate charlie karnes Home Repair 2 July 7th 03 08:11 PM