Rob Gray

Default Replacing Gutter on Slate Roof

My old farmhouse has a slate roof and currently has galvenized,
half-round gutters that sit in a steel support brackets/"shanks" that
were mounted under the slate back when the slate roof was installed
about 75 years ago. Picture a thin piece of metal protruding along the
line of the roof from below the slates, and then it dips into a
half-round shape once it clears the roofline in front of the facia board
where the metal gutter rests. These galvenized gutters work well, but
they tend to rust out every 7 or 8 years which is a pain. I am thinking
of putting half-round copper gutters in place of them, but I don't think
I can use the same steel support "shanks" that are currently being used
due to the interaction of the metals when I introduce copper gutters.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to install new gutter support
"shanks" under slates or if it is even possible?

Rob
NE PA