charlie karnes

Default Replacing copper gutter under slate

Mike wrote:

I need to replace a copper gutter on my house that is secured to the
roof by an integral flange that runs under the first row of slate. I
don't want to disturb the slate if I can avoid it, and plan to support
the new gutter with fascia-mounted brackets. Would it be acceptable
to cut off the old gutter along its base at the rear so that the
flange beneath the slate plus the several inches of metal left from
the old gutter would remain to serve as flashing for the new gutter?

Mike

why do you need to replace the gutter? i wish i had it. i would try to
get someone to fix it unless it is a total loss.
Robert A. Barr

Mike wrote:

I need to replace a copper gutter on my house that is secured to the
roof by an integral flange that runs under the first row of slate. I
don't want to disturb the slate if I can avoid it, and plan to support
the new gutter with fascia-mounted brackets. Would it be acceptable
to cut off the old gutter along its base at the rear so that the
flange beneath the slate plus the several inches of metal left from
the old gutter would remain to serve as flashing for the new gutter?

Mike

.... and tuck the new gutter up underneath?

It's not only possible, it's about the only sensible approach. Around
here, it's a rather standard procedure called a "shear-off". I've done
this over my garage, and it worked out fine. I absolutely did not want to
mess with the slate.

charlie karnes

"Robert A. Barr" wrote:

Mike wrote:

I need to replace a copper gutter on my house that is secured to the
roof by an integral flange that runs under the first row of slate. I
don't want to disturb the slate if I can avoid it, and plan to support
the new gutter with fascia-mounted brackets. Would it be acceptable
to cut off the old gutter along its base at the rear so that the
flange beneath the slate plus the several inches of metal left from
the old gutter would remain to serve as flashing for the new gutter?

Mike

... and tuck the new gutter up underneath?

It's not only possible, it's about the only sensible approach. Around
here, it's a rather standard procedure called a "shear-off". I've done
this over my garage, and it worked out fine. I absolutely did not want to
mess with the slate.

don't blame you about the slate. wish i had that too.

Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Copper plating Dan Caster Metalworking 5 July 24th 03 01:04 PM
Slate Roof/Gutter Question Robert A. Barr Home Repair 2 June 24th 03 11:26 AM