Muff

Default Exterior paint

I haven't seen this discussed here and need some good words from you good
folks.
I'm building a new home about 3200 sq ft. cement block with stucco. I want
to have it painted with a good paint but the prices are all over the place.

Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams,
Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions.
Muff
Joseph Meehan

Muff wrote:
I haven't seen this discussed here and need some good words from you
good folks.
I'm building a new home about 3200 sq ft. cement block with stucco.
I want to have it painted with a good paint but the prices are all
over the place.

Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams,
Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions.
Muff

Forget all the cheap paints. Good paint is expensive to make, and it
will not be priced low. You may want to take a look at Consumer Reports
magazine, but keep in mind paint formulas seem to change fast and I don't
think they have a current review of outdoor paints.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SQLit

----cut------
Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams,
Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions.
Muff

can't you find a tint color you like that can be blended into the mix for
the stucco?

"""""cut again'''''''

Putting color in stucco will take some planning. However if you color the
stucco you will not have to paint for a long time, more than 10 years.

Paint on stucco is dicey at best, look at the chemistry on this. Here in
Phoenix the Dunn-Edwards folks say that a stucco home needs to be primed
then painted 2 coats, that will last about 5 years. Then you will paint
again and that will last 7-10 years. Of course you have to re-prime and two
coats of paint again.
My homes complex is turning 6 years old and most of the homes exterior paint
jobs look streaky and faded. I painted the exterior of my home this summer.

When compared to painting I would go for coloring the stucco every time if
it was at all possible. After all they are only coloring the last two
applications.

Roger Shoaf

"SQLit" wrote in message

----cut------
[...]

I painted my stucco house 15 years ago and now it is probably getting close
to do it again. I used Kelly Moore exterior latex. Prep. was hosing and
brushing. The wood trim was/ is more of an issue than the stucco.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Tony Hwang

Muff wrote:
I haven't seen this discussed here and need some good words from you good
folks.
I'm building a new home about 3200 sq ft. cement block with stucco. I want
to have it painted with a good paint but the prices are all over the place.

Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams,
Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions.
Muff

Hi,
Buy the best paint for the job and that's only half the story.
Do a good prep. and choose correct time to paint(when temp is not too
hot or cool)
Good luck,
Tony

Kimchee

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
Muff wrote:
I haven't seen this discussed here and need some good words from you
good folks.
I'm building a new home about 3200 sq ft. cement block with stucco.
I want to have it painted with a good paint but the prices are all
over the place.

Any suggestions as to what brands I should consider, Sherwin-Williams,
Benjamin Moore, Gladdens, Bear etc.???

Thanks for your replies, suggestions.
Muff

Forget all the cheap paints. Good paint is expensive to make, and it
will not be priced low. You may want to take a look at Consumer Reports
magazine, but keep in mind paint formulas seem to change fast and I don't
think they have a current review of outdoor paints.

Some inexpensive paint is really not too bad, you just have to know which
one is good. Certain line of Walmart and Sears for example are pretty good
and usually one coat coverage. I usually buy 4 or more 5-gallon buckets at a
time so knowing which cheap but good paint saves some money.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Sherwin Williams Duration