Default Moisture-cured polyurethane flammability

Hello,

We're having our floors redone and after reading a lot about this, have
decided to go with Moisture-cured polyurethane.

The contractor has objected to it any way he could and in the end it
has come down to him doing it provided that I shut off the gas to my
building (3 floors, 6 apartments total) because he said that during the
first 5 hours of application, the vapors are so flammable that if they
sneak out of the apartment and hit someone's oven pilot, for example,
it'll start a fire.

I have read about the toxicity of the vapors and the foul smell as I
scoured the internet looking for answers, but no one has mentioned any
safety concerns.

Is this product THIS dangerous? Shouldn't I then also warn my
neighbours not to smoke for those 5 hours? What about electrical sparks
inside light switches?

At this point it's very hard for me to draw the line between what's
reasonable and what the contractor is trying to use as obstacles to do
the job the way we'd like it to be done.

Thanks for any and all answers and apologies for posting this message
in another newsgroup.

Happy new year!

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

We're having our floors redone and after reading a lot about this, have
decided to go with Moisture-cured polyurethane.

The contractor has objected to it any way he could and in the end it
has come down to him doing it provided that I shut off the gas to my
building (3 floors, 6 apartments total) because he said that during the
first 5 hours of application, the vapors are so flammable that if they
sneak out of the apartment and hit someone's oven pilot, for example,
it'll start a fire.

Is this product THIS dangerous? Shouldn't I then also warn my
neighbours not to smoke for those 5 hours? What about electrical sparks
inside light switches?

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. This is different that
water based poly?

I'd start with the directions on the can and then see if the manufacturer
has a web page. Contact them for details. Seems like he is over reacting
quite a bit, but still worth investigating.

Hi Edwin,

Thanks to you and everyone for your replies.

This is not water-based poly. It's an entirely different thing. It has
the glossy shine of oil-based but doesn't turn yellowish over time.

I also feel that he's over-reacting a bit, but was hoping to get some
answers here and in another group where I posted this question.

To add to my dilemma, I found today the Maple Flooring Manufacturers'
Association's web site and they don't have any moisture-cured
polyurethanes in their list of certified/(recommended?) products, so I
can't tell whether they don't recommend this finish for maple floors or
what. I'm still waiting for someone from that organization to return my
phone call (I'll post an update as soon as I learn more so others don't
have to go through the hell I'm going through now).

Thanks again!

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

effi

why not ask the contractor his source for the comment on the flammability of
the vapors? Either he has a reliable source or he made it up.

per http://www.newenglandfloors.com/Flooring/flooring.html

1. Moisture-cured urethane is solvent-base polyurethane that is more
durable and more moisture resistant than other finishes. Moisture-cure
urethane comes in non-yellowing and in ambering types. Best left to
professionals, they are difficult to apply and have a strong odor.

Is this contractor a "professional" at installing moisture-cured urethane?

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

effi

interesting stuff, the op might find this part of particular interest:

"Once dry-a process that generally takes two weeks-the Moisture Cured
Urethane coating is considered safe.

Application of Moisture Cured Urethane in occupied homes must be strictly
prohibited. "

sounds scary like the potential for problems with cadmium, copper, lead,
fiberglass, etc. in a residence...

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
This appears to be an industrial coating. I did a google and only scary
things turned up. Here's one:

http://www.davidyassky.com/show_art.php?id=44

wrote in message
What does the manufacturer have to say? He should be the subject
matter expert.

On 6 Jan 2005 10:50:39 -0800, wrote:

[...]

m Ransley

Moisture cured- do you mean Water Base?

Joe Bobst

Moisture cured- do you mean Water Base?

Some PU's (and other polymers like Crazy Glue) cure by absorption of H2O from
the air. But the resin mix is dissolved in mineral spirts or whatever and that
is the fire hazard with poor ventilation.
Water based PU's are a whole different kind of chemistry. HTH

Joe