Hi Edwin,

Thanks to you and everyone for your replies.

This is not water-based poly. It's an entirely different thing. It has
the glossy shine of oil-based but doesn't turn yellowish over time.

I also feel that he's over-reacting a bit, but was hoping to get some
answers here and in another group where I posted this question.

To add to my dilemma, I found today the Maple Flooring Manufacturers'
Association's web site and they don't have any moisture-cured
polyurethanes in their list of certified/(recommended?) products, so I
can't tell whether they don't recommend this finish for maple floors or
what. I'm still waiting for someone from that organization to return my
phone call (I'll post an update as soon as I learn more so others don't
have to go through the hell I'm going through now).

Thanks again!

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

We're having our floors redone and after reading a lot about this,

have
decided to go with Moisture-cured polyurethane.

The contractor has objected to it any way he could and in the end

it
has come down to him doing it provided that I shut off the gas to

my
building (3 floors, 6 apartments total) because he said that during

the
first 5 hours of application, the vapors are so flammable that if

they
sneak out of the apartment and hit someone's oven pilot, for

example,
it'll start a fire.

Is this product THIS dangerous? Shouldn't I then also warn my
neighbours not to smoke for those 5 hours? What about electrical

sparks
inside light switches?

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. This is different

that
water based poly?

I'd start with the directions on the can and then see if the

manufacturer
has a web page. Contact them for details. Seems like he is over

reacting
quite a bit, but still worth investigating.