effi

Default My garbage disposal is leaking water. Help?

"jim evans" wrote in message
news
My garbage disposal is leaking water. Does anybody know what's
happening? If so, is this something I can fix by taking the disposal
apart or should I just go buy a new one?

This is a picture of the bottom of my In-Sink-Erator garbage disposal.

http://www.factsfacts.com/disposal-bottom.jpg

The arrows indicate where water is dripping from.

I replaced this unit about 5-6 years ago.

jim
___
Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page.
It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

someone recently plugged the stainless grinding chamber insinkerator on this
newsgroup, citing 10 years of service and still working, maybe you can get a
few more years out of yours by repairing it (if it can be repaired)

someone else mentioned consumer reports #8 pick is the kenmore 1/2 hp model
6011 [mfr. model 9912]...looking at its specs, it has an abs plastic
grinding chamber and galvanized steel grind elements, and is on sale till
1-8-05 for $64.99 (regularly $69.99)

the abs plastic sounds like a new design, have no idea how it stands up to
stainless steel, the cheapie disposals used to have grind chambers made of
some kind of cheap metal, maybe abs is better, have no idea how abs chambers
(with galvanized blades) stands up to stainless steel

like insinkerator, sears also makes more costly models with stainless
grinding chambers and stainless grind elements (and more than 1/2 hp motors)

for more data on sears stuff, go to
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults
then click on the particular model and when that page opens you can also
click on the "Product specs" tab for data on grinding chamber/blade material
used

Roger Shoaf

I would take it apart and look. You should have a lot more than 6 years
life from a disposer, so you just might have a loose hose clamp or a bum
o-ring or something.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"jim evans" wrote in message
news
My garbage disposal is leaking water. Does anybody know what's
happening? If so, is this something I can fix by taking the disposal
apart or should I just go buy a new one?

This is a picture of the bottom of my In-Sink-Erator garbage disposal.

http://www.factsfacts.com/disposal-bottom.jpg

The arrows indicate where water is dripping from.

I replaced this unit about 5-6 years ago.

jim
___
Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page.
It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

effi

on garbage disposal lives:

some say running hot water through a garbage disposal while it is running
prematurely ages it (heat is an enemy to electric motors), as the primary
cooling force on a disposal in operation can be cold water running through
it

some on this discussion group argue that can't be

thermodynamics seems to support the former

TCS

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:48:43 -0600, effi wrote:
on garbage disposal lives:

some say running hot water through a garbage disposal while it is running
prematurely ages it (heat is an enemy to electric motors), as the primary
cooling force on a disposal in operation can be cold water running through
it

some on this discussion group argue that can't be

thermodynamics seems to support the former

Thermodynamics support that cold water and hot water aren't very different.
Don't forget that temperatures aren't compared to 0F, but to 0K which is
-459F.

Unless your hot water is at the point of turning to steam, you have
nothing to worry about.

Disposals simply don't get that hot for the temperature of the lubricating
water to matter.
effi

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:48:43 -0600, "effi" wrote:

on garbage disposal lives:

some say running hot water through a garbage disposal while it is running
prematurely ages it (heat is an enemy to electric motors), as the primary
cooling force on a disposal in operation can be cold water running through
it

some on this discussion group argue that can't be

thermodynamics seems to support the former

In this case it doesn't matter -- we don't run hot water through it
when it's running.

jim

note to self: avoid purchasing insinkerator products

Roger Shoaf

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:39:33 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I would take it apart and look. You should have a lot more than 6 years
life from a disposer, so you just might have a loose hose clamp or a bum
o-ring or something.

Thanks for your reply. SWMBO was on my case because we couldn't use
the dishwasher. So, when I didn't get an answer here and then found a
website that said if a disposal began leaking internally it was a
goner, I bought another this morning and have already installed it.

OK I can understand keeping SWMBO happy, but have you taken the old one
apart to see why it was leaking? I have never taken one apart but your
photo did not suggest that the unit died of corosion.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

I doubt it's worth taking apart if it's actually the unit and not one
of the connections. The price charged for parts is outrageous, the
time required is a factor, plus the distinct possiblility that it will
still leak or fail soon anyway, just doesn't make it worthwhile.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM