Ray

Default Natural Gas Run

I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to a
workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

Greg O

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to

workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there

is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

My first choice would be polyethelene pipe that is rated for gas. You can
bury black pipe that is coated too, but it is more work and may not last as
long. The poly pipe would need to be done by someone that does HVAC work for
a living as it usually is not available to the general public. You probably
could dig the trench and have them lay the pipe.
Another concern would be the size of pipe. At 200 ft you may need to have
the gas utility bump your gas pressure up to 2 PSI to get the capacity you
will need.
Greg

SQLit

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to

workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there

is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

Where I live you could use galvanized, black iron or poly.
Poly is out cause no one other that the utility has the tools and parts to
work with it. It is not allowed for residences other than the service. Which
is utility owned.

galvanized and black iron both need to insulated from the ground. That can
be done by tape or foam, here. You should be checking locally to see what
the rules are.

You should be contacting a plumber that can help you with the calculation to
your new load. Depending on the size of the load you could be running 2
inch or larger pipe.

JustCallMe Norman

There is a fairly new flexible gas hose now available for direct burial.
Its yellow in color and comes in various diameters. I once ran a gas
line from my meter to a small addition where i used a 50,000 btu input
heater ; i ran 3/4" i.d. gas line about 125 feet and it worked fine
without increasing gas pressure. Id try running a 3/4" gas line and
have someone check the furnace manifold pressure once its installed and
running. If it isnt approx. 3.5 " w.c. , then the Gas Co. can bump up
the incoming gas pressure.

TURTLE

"JustCallMe Norman" wrote in message
There is a fairly new flexible gas hose now available for direct burial.
Its yellow in color and comes in various diameters. I once ran a gas
line from my meter to a small addition where i used a 50,000 btu input
heater ; i ran 3/4" i.d. gas line about 125 feet and it worked fine
without increasing gas pressure. Id try running a 3/4" gas line and
have someone check the furnace manifold pressure once its installed and
running. If it isnt approx. 3.5 " w.c. , then the Gas Co. can bump up
the incoming gas pressure.

This is Turtle.

Hey Davey , They don't sell the yellow flex pipe to the public even here in
Louisiana.

Also Davie here in Louisiana they have 7 '' wc of pressure and the 3.5 wc your
talking about is after the gas valves and not the incoming pressure. You need to
read more about gas pressure before advising on it.

TURTLE

Greg O

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

Turtle, don't bust him too hard! As his post stated, he did it once!
Greg

TURTLE

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to a
workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

This is Turtle.

I'm from Louisiana too and you will have to lay it in the ground atleast 18''+
to be legal. You can use black iron pipe in the size needed by looking at the
chart on the website posted here.

http://www.aprsupply.com/support/aprtech14.htm

The chart only goes so far but if you like to discuss it off group e-mail me
here at and remove the xx to make it good. I live in
Oakdale, La.

TURTLE

Bob

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to

workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there

is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

The best source of this information would be the office of the inspector who
will have to inspect your installation before burial. Only there can you get
the "final word".

Bob

TURTLE

"Greg O" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

OK Dave just call the Gas come to turn the gas pressure up to about 50 psi on
the 1/4" tubing and you will be fine.

TURTLE

Tom

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm contemplating running natural gas from the gas entrance to my house to
workshop approx. 200' away.

What type pipe can I use when running underground ?? I'm told that there
is
plastic pipe for gas lines ??

I live in south louisiana where it's very humid.

Thanks...

Had similar problem..gas company offered to run separate line to garage
with separate meter. I declined because of extra monthly charge but I
think I would have considered it if the run had been 200 ft instead of the
100 ft I had to run. I used PE (plastic) pipe which is legal here in
Illinois. Luckily I have a brother in law who is in the business to hook
up each end of the line.

geoman

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

Hey Turtle, I have a question for you, your going to get an email sometime
today or tomorrow.

Rich

TURTLE

"geoman" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

OOOKKK DDDOOOKKKEEE !

Have not received it yet as of 11:30 p.m. 1/05/05 .

TURTLE