LenS

Default "Cold Heat" soldering tool question

I've seen TV commercials for a portable, battery driven soldering tool
whose tip supposedly produces enough heat to solder small joints
almost instantly, and then, almost as quickly, cools enough to touch.

A tool like that would be very handy for me around the house if it
works as advertised. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these
tools?

Any comments will be gratefully received.

-Len

John Harlow

LenS wrote:
I've seen TV commercials for a portable, battery driven soldering tool
whose tip supposedly produces enough heat to solder small joints
almost instantly, and then, almost as quickly, cools enough to touch.

A tool like that would be very handy for me around the house if it
works as advertised. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these
tools?

Do you have a link to this device? It's operating window sounds rather
narrow; it probably is only sized to solder demonstration joints

Because there is no "standard" soldering job, there are several different
sized tools available from a pencil tip soldering iron for electronic work
to a torch for pipe sweating. IMHO your money is better spent on a regular
soldering iron for smaller home stuff and a gun for the bigger things, and a
torch for the plumbing jobs.

Like most things, you get what you pay for.

Murray Peterson

LenS wrote in news:hpl6t0h6scqrargn0g7k9kvk2g0lg3aa1t@
4ax.com:

A tool like that would be very handy for me around the house if it
works as advertised. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these
tools?

Reviews show it to be rather useless:
http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=2642670
TURTLE

"LenS" wrote in message
I've seen TV commercials for a portable, battery driven soldering tool
whose tip supposedly produces enough heat to solder small joints
almost instantly, and then, almost as quickly, cools enough to touch.

A tool like that would be very handy for me around the house if it
works as advertised. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these
tools?

Any comments will be gratefully received.

-Len

This is Turtle.

This thing is only good for small solder jobs like a wire on a relay board or
maybe 2 #18 wires being put together. I bought one for my brother in law for
christmas and tried it out. It's really good on small stuff but not for anything
that will take a good amount of heat to put them together like 2 pieces of #12
wire. If everything was on things like a computor board or a hvac gas furnace
relay board where all the connections are real small. It will be good but bigger
stuff forget.

I read the report posted here and holding the connection together and soldering
it is always a problem to start with but with this thing -- if you can get the
wire to stay still and in place. it will work fine and also small wire. It has a
definate limit to it's use.

Link ---- Go to Home Depot Website and ask for [ cold heat ] and the thing will
pop up and then hit on it to tell about it. under spec.s. Now let me tell you
they are out of them and it will be two weeks before they get any more.

TURTLE

Philip Lewis

"John Harlow" writes:
Do you have a link to this device?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...soldering+iron

It's operating window sounds rather narrow;

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/69d3/ has:
It functions best when used with solder 0.032 to 0.040 inches in
diameter and wires 18 - 24 AWG or equivalent-sized parts.

it probably is only sized to solder demonstration joints

It looks like it has potential for PCB work.

Apparently it is essentially batteries hooked to two needles.
when both needles touch solder, it shunts the circuit and high current
flows through the solder heating/melting it.

I'd be tempted to grab a couple sewing needles, use some high temp
epoxy to glue them close to each other, and hook them up to batteries
to see if i could get a cheap equiv.

--
be safe.
flip

zxcvbob

Philip Lewis wrote:
"John Harlow" writes:

Do you have a link to this device?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...soldering+iron

It's operating window sounds rather narrow;

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/69d3/ has:

It functions best when used with solder 0.032 to 0.040 inches in
diameter and wires 18 - 24 AWG or equivalent-sized parts.

it probably is only sized to solder demonstration joints

It looks like it has potential for PCB work.

Apparently it is essentially batteries hooked to two needles.
when both needles touch solder, it shunts the circuit and high current
flows through the solder heating/melting it.

I'd be tempted to grab a couple sewing needles, use some high temp
epoxy to glue them close to each other, and hook them up to batteries
to see if i could get a cheap equiv.

To have a chance of it working, you probably need to use rechargable
(NiCd or NiMH or PbH+) batteries to generate the necessary high current.

I recommend using solid copper wires, sharpened to a point and tinned,
for the electrodes instead of steel needles.

Bob

I would not trust any solder joints made by a cordless soldering iron.

LenS

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:54:50 -0500, "John Harlow"
wrote:

I found a few links using "cold heat solder" on Google.

http://www.seattlepi.nwsource.com/bu...oldheat16.html

www.stuffseenontv.com/coldheat_ soldering_tool_303_prd1.htm

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6151688/

www.nscale.net/Article154.html

http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews...eringiron.html

I agree that the device appears to be limited to small jobs, but
that's mostly what I'm looking for. Occasional jewelry repair, circuit
board repairs or part removal, etc.

It's a bit of a pain for me to haul out my soldering gun because I
don't use it often, but when I want it I want it NOW!

I agree also that you usually get what you pay for. This thing is
$19.95 plus S&H.

Thanks,

-LenS

LenS wrote:
[...]

willshak

On 12/30/2004 6:19 PM US(ET), LenS took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

wrote:

I found a few links using "cold heat solder" on Google.

http://www.seattlepi.nwsource.com/bu...oldheat16.html

www.stuffseenontv.com/coldheat_ soldering_tool_303_prd1.htm

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6151688/

www.nscale.net/Article154.html

http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews...eringiron.html

I agree that the device appears to be limited to small jobs, but
that's mostly what I'm looking for. Occasional jewelry repair, circuit
board repairs or part removal, etc.

It's a bit of a pain for me to haul out my soldering gun because I
don't use it often, but when I want it I want it NOW!

I agree also that you usually get what you pay for. This thing is
$19.95 plus S&H.

Wait about 6 months. You'll see the thing drop to $9.95 for two of them.

LenS wrote:

[...]

Bill

berkshire bill

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"LenS" wrote in message
[...]

I've tried the "Cold Heat" but wasn't impressed. I have soldering guns and
irons in the car but keep a butane iron in the tool bag for the quick
touch-up. The butane is a light weight blessing, use it, put the cap on and
put it back in the bag!

Bill

xrongor

I've tried the "Cold Heat" but wasn't impressed. I have soldering guns
and irons in the car but keep a butane iron in the tool bag for the quick
touch-up. The butane is a light weight blessing, use it, put the cap on
and put it back in the bag!

those butane ones rule. they even work in the wind unlike most cordless
electrics. had a job once where i had to get onto some serious machinery
and solder some wires in the wind at -30F. even corded electrics werent
working all that well... butane did em right up.

randy

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:11:25 GMT, "bill a"
wrote:

why not wait a while a buy one at a yard sale for a dollar?

Bill

Good Advice. I've noticed a trend with the 'latest inventions'. They
are only available via informationals. 6 months later, they are
available via main store chains, like hd, and walmart. 6 months after
that, they are available at garage sales and thrift stores.

Each time, declining in selling price.

"LenS" wrote in message
.. .
I've seen TV commercials for a portable, battery driven soldering tool
whose tip supposedly produces enough heat to solder small joints
almost instantly, and then, almost as quickly, cools enough to touch.

A tool like that would be very handy for me around the house if it
works as advertised. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these
tools?

Any comments will be gratefully received.

-Len

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Joe Bobst

Any comments will be gratefully received.

Take the money and send it to the Red Cross for tsunami relief where it will do
some good. Do your soldering with the proper tools, Radio Shack, others, have
things that really work. IMHO you will never find one of these on a technicians
bench in a commercial R & D operation or repair shop. HTH

Joe

TCS

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:21:02 GMT, LenS wrote:
I've seen TV commercials for a portable, battery driven soldering tool
whose tip supposedly produces enough heat to solder small joints
almost instantly, and then, almost as quickly, cools enough to touch.

They've been around since the 70's. The are a soldering gun powered by
nicads and take advantage of the monsterous current that nicads can put
when a near short circuit is put across the battery.

Cold Climate heat pump Astro Home Repair 25 December 2nd 04 01:31 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM
A question for anyone who has made a rotary tool shank. John Doe Woodworking 6 February 14th 04 01:21 AM