zxcvbob

Philip Lewis wrote:
"John Harlow" writes:

Do you have a link to this device?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...soldering+iron

It's operating window sounds rather narrow;

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/69d3/ has:

It functions best when used with solder 0.032 to 0.040 inches in
diameter and wires 18 - 24 AWG or equivalent-sized parts.

it probably is only sized to solder demonstration joints

It looks like it has potential for PCB work.

Apparently it is essentially batteries hooked to two needles.
when both needles touch solder, it shunts the circuit and high current
flows through the solder heating/melting it.

I'd be tempted to grab a couple sewing needles, use some high temp
epoxy to glue them close to each other, and hook them up to batteries
to see if i could get a cheap equiv.

To have a chance of it working, you probably need to use rechargable
(NiCd or NiMH or PbH+) batteries to generate the necessary high current.

I recommend using solid copper wires, sharpened to a point and tinned,
for the electrodes instead of steel needles.

Bob