Christopher H. Laco

Default Ceiling Fan: Light Getting Freaky

First, Merry Christmas! Why am I up at 3:38am? The Mrs. went to work at
the local childrens hospital at 3. Yuk.

I've got a problem with my ceiling fan that is going to make me nuts.
It's a Hunter Rosemont and it's about a year and a half old.

Sometime in the last week or so, the lights started to flicker/dim. At
first, I assumes these were mini bronw outs with the electric itself.

Then the night before last without warning, the lights just went off on
the ceiling fan. At first I figured maybe one bulb was out, I didn't
notice, and now the second one went out. After switching bulbs the light
didn't work, so I shut of the wall switch and went to bed.

Sure enough, when I got up in yesterday morning, I switched on the wall
switch and the lights came back on. Figures.

But the time I went to bed the were off again. Again, this morning they
wored again for about 10 minutes. Did a few flickers, then went off.

During this whole ordeal, the fan part works just fine. Now, the first
thought that comes to mind with a flicker is a short. I've checked the
wiring, and everything seems fine.

Has anyone else seen these light fixtures go silly? The metal seemed a
bit warm, but not really and warmer than my other Rosemont fan in my
other room. Maybe the remote and board just went wonky; although the
remote works just fine for the fan.

Maybe just for giggles I'll swap the lighting fixture between the fans
and see if the problem follows.

Thanks,
-=Chris
Joseph Meehan

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
[...]

My guess is the connections of the wires from the lights to the wire
coming in with the power for the lights. It was not properly connected to
start with and now the vibration and temperature changes have loosened the
connections. Do fix it soon as it can be a hazard.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Christopher H. Laco

My guess is the connections of the wires from the lights to the wire
coming in with the power for the lights. It was not properly connected to
start with and now the vibration and temperature changes have loosened the
connections. Do fix it soon as it can be a hazard.

Sigh. I hate problems without patterns. I went back in to watch tv, and
it kicked off after 5 minutes, so I took apart the lighting part. All of
the connections are rock solid. I left it on/unstrung outside of the
lighting housing and of course it stayed on fior the last 5 hours. I
just put it back together.

Heavy sigh. Don't even get me started about my windows.
Time for some breakfast.

-=Chris
Christopher H. Laco

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
My guess is the connections of the wires from the lights to the
wire coming in with the power for the lights. It was not properly
connected to start with and now the vibration and temperature changes
have loosened the connections. Do fix it soon as it can be a hazard.

Sigh. I hate problems without patterns. I went back in to watch tv, and
it kicked off after 5 minutes, so I took apart the lighting part. All of
the connections are rock solid. I left it on/unstrung outside of the
lighting housing and of course it stayed on fior the last 5 hours. I
just put it back together.

Heavy sigh. Don't even get me started about my windows.
Time for some breakfast.

-=Chris

Just an update. I swapped out the lighting fixtures between my two
Rosemont fans, and the problem followed. It's definately the
fixture/board that went bad.

Now for the fun part; HUnter Customer Service :-/

-=Chris
Joseph Meehan

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
Christopher H. Laco wrote:
[...]

I wonder what kind of circuit that thing has that controls the lights?
Could it have some sort of over heat protection? Does it have an integrated
dimmer control?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Christopher H. Laco

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Christopher H. Laco wrote:

Christopher H. Laco wrote:

[...]

It does have an itegrated dimmer. I should try doing a full sweep on the
dimmer and see if it will reset.

It sure acts like a over heat protection circuit, but like I mentioned
before, that fixutre is pretty hot normally when the lights are on, even
on the one that works. Nothing shocking with 2 60watt bulbs a inch away
from the housing.
marika

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
..

Has anyone else seen these light fixtures go silly?

yeah, on Kill Bill 2. But I doubt you want to go all the way to China
to learn the art of swordsmanship under a sensei master in order to fix
it!

mk5000

"we're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement...inside our own
lonley skins as long as we live in this earth"--marlon brando

Joseph Meehan

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Christopher H. Laco wrote:

Christopher H. Laco wrote:

[...]

Well some thermo protection devices tend to get a little sensitive with
use and age.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Bobst

Has anyone else seen these light fixtures go silly?

Yep. The fan light in my kitchen drove us batty for some months, Turned out to
be a bum lamp socket, with poorly riveted connectors. Used a heavy duty
replacement from a 150 W can light so we could use the larger lamp and
everyone's happy. HTH

Joe