Larry Johnson

Default Fireplace / Firebrick

We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying to
drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front corner of
the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through the firebrick,
about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use steel
plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is appreciated.

Charles Spitzer

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying
to drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front
corner of the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through
the firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot
penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use
steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is
appreciated.

there was a steel plate in the top of mine. can you look at some
shavings/dust coming out of the hole to see what it is? reinforced concrete
(you hit rebar)?

Art

There could be a steel pan filled with concrete under the firebox and in
front of it. My gas pipe goes out the side and I think that is where gas
logs and inserts expect it.

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying
to drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front
corner of the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through
the firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot
penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use
steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is
appreciated.

Larry Johnson

We originally planned on going in the side, but through the floor is much more
direct with no need to run a pipe on the outside wall of the house. Do you
think it's possible/wise to continue drilling?

"Art" wrote in message
k.net
There could be a steel pan filled with concrete under the firebox and
in front of it. My gas pipe goes out the side and I think that is
where gas logs and inserts expect it.

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am
trying to drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor
in a front corner of the firebox to a utility space under the house.
I get through the firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my
carbide bit cannot penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do
they use steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any
help is appreciated.

Larry Johnson

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am
trying to drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor
in a front corner of the firebox to a utility space under the house.
I get through the firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my
carbide bit cannot penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do
they use steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any
help is appreciated.

there was a steel plate in the top of mine. can you look at some
shavings/dust coming out of the hole to see what it is? reinforced
concrete (you hit rebar)?

A neighbor has a pencil magnet. I'll see what that tells me.

TURTLE

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying to
drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front corner
of the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through the
firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot
penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use
steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is appreciated.

This is Turtle.

I can be wrong here but a Carbide bit will cut a fire brick but when it comes to
a regular brick. It has hell doing so. I think you just hit a real cured plain
brick. Now a Steel rebar or steel plate can be it.

TURTLE