TURTLE

"Larry Johnson" wrote in message
We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying to
drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front corner
of the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through the
firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot
penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use
steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is appreciated.

This is Turtle.

I can be wrong here but a Carbide bit will cut a fire brick but when it comes to
a regular brick. It has hell doing so. I think you just hit a real cured plain
brick. Now a Steel rebar or steel plate can be it.

TURTLE