SP

Default Mold on roof

I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the
house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in this
area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost looks like
the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the problem? I
was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

SP wrote:
I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the
house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in
this
area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost looks
like
the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the problem? I
was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am copying this post from cc0112453 (Larry?). I am sure he just
posted it to the wrong thread.

The trees help in the process because they block out the sunlight. It is a
common problem here in the Pacific Northwest. I asked someone once what to
do about it and they recommended zinc strips. Zinc is a growth inhibitor
for moss mold. I took my life in my hands (I have a very steep, high roof)
and put zinc strips along both sides of the entire length of my house. One
year later the moss had stopped growing but only near the zinc strips. I
then went to a roofing company and asked them what they used. They sold me
a product that has powdered zinc in it and comes in a can that looks like an
over sized container of parmesan cheese. You take a couple of cans up on
the roof and sprinkle their contents along the peak of the roof. The first
rain will wash the powder down the length of the entire roof. You can also
sprinkle it all over if you want or hose it down. The stuff works great.
You still have to apply it every couple of years or so. I think it is
called something like Moss-Off or Moss-Kill. You don't want the stuff for
the lawn, it should say for use on roofs.
"Larry Sams" wrote in message

Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Roger

I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the
house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in
this area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost
looks like the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the
problem? I was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other

You can either spray with bleach, as you suggest, and as an alternative moss
killer is available at Home Depot. It is mostly metallic zinc in a
liquid suspension, is fairly expensive, and is sprayed on with a pump
sprayer, I believe. You first might check with your shingle manufacturer to
see if either of these chemicals is harmful to them.
I used a different approach: once I knocked most of the moss/mold on my
shaded roof with a
broom, I put a 6 inch wide strip of heavy guage pure sheet zinc near the
roof peak the full length of the ridge, tucked under the ridge shingles.
Two years have gone by, so I dont
have a definitive answer yet, but there is no new moss there so far.
I know zinc works. Just look at where pipe vents penetrate nearby roofs in
your neighborhood. Both lead (especially toxic) and zinc plated plumbing
vent
gaskets/shields leave a mossless streak downstream from that point.

MC

My grandfather onn his farm always put metal wire on each side of his roofs
at the top on all the buildings (non metal roofs), anchored under the
shingles ever so many feet. He used copper and Glavanized wire I think but
am not 100 percent sure.

Never had any mold problems.

I am having a mold problem on my roof, almost black in some areas, did have
many trees overhanging, cutting down or limbing up most to allow more sun
and air movement. However I did notice, everywhere I had any metal
(galavanized) there is not any mold for a path all the way down the roof
underneath. I guess it is the Zinc in the metal that kiils the mold.

"SP" me wrote in message ...
I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the
house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in

this
area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost looks

like
the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the problem? I
was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roger

" I am having a mold problem on my roof, almost black in some areas, did
have
many trees overhanging, cutting down or limbing up most to allow more sun
and air movement. However I did notice, everywhere I had any metal
(galavanized) there is not any mold for a path all the way down the roof
underneath. I guess it is the Zinc in the metal that kiils the mold.

It is the zinc, indeed.
Drive around the neighborhood and you will see streaks of fresh looking
shingles downslope from most galvanized pipe vent shields. Those that are
painted when installed won't confer this benefit, tho. Older homes may have
lead shields around the pipes; that appears even more toxic to mold, as the
streaks are really light colored downstream from these older vents.

MLD

"SP" me wrote in message ...
I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the
house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in

this
area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost looks

like
the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the problem? I
was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I mixed a solution of 1 part Clorox and 3 parts water. Hand washed down the
areas that had the mold. It did the job, shingles look clean and the mold
gone.
MLD

Joshua Putnam

However I did notice, everywhere I had any metal
(galavanized) there is not any mold for a path all the way down the roof
underneath. I guess it is the Zinc in the metal that kiils the mold.

Correct, it is the zinc. You can buy rolls of zinc sheet metal to
install under an upper course of shingles to give your entire roof this
protection against moss and fungus.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
G. Morgan

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:46:47 -0600 "ß©©ß"
used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Let me guess. Your wife made too many jello molds for Thanksgiving
and tossed some of the extra ones on the roof. I bet they are even
green, right? Those are lime jello. Hardly anyone likes that flavor
anyhow, so she was smart to toss them on the roof.

How many times are you going to say that, ****nuts?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email