Minnie Bannister

Default Replace glass in Andersen windows?

The double glazing in one or two of our Andersen casement windows is
leaky, as evidenced by condensation and/or dirt between the two sheets
of glass.

How easy would it be to replace the glass myself? Any tips?

MB
Travis Hayes

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
The double glazing in one or two of our Andersen casement windows is
leaky, as evidenced by condensation and/or dirt between the two sheets
of glass.

How easy would it be to replace the glass myself? Any tips?

MB

The problem is not the glass, unless you see cracks in the glass. The
problem is the seal between the panes. It's not so easy to do this
yourself; in the factory, they remove the air and pump in a dry, inert gas
like argon or nitrogen before making an airtight seal. Moisture between the
panes indicates a failure of this seal, and you'll need to replace both
panes with a factory-sealed two-pane piece, not just putty in a new pane.

Minnie Bannister

That's what I meant: how easy to replace the "factory-sealed two-pane
piece"?

MB

On 11/18/04 08:36 pm Travis Hayes put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

The double glazing in one or two of our Andersen casement windows is
leaky, as evidenced by condensation and/or dirt between the two sheets
of glass.

How easy would it be to replace the glass myself? Any tips?

The problem is not the glass, unless you see cracks in the glass. The
problem is the seal between the panes. It's not so easy to do this
yourself; in the factory, they remove the air and pump in a dry, inert gas
like argon or nitrogen before making an airtight seal. Moisture between the
panes indicates a failure of this seal, and you'll need to replace both
panes with a factory-sealed two-pane piece, not just putty in a new pane.

m Ransley

It is best to get a new section from Anderson, but you have a 15 yr
warranty already.

Conase

The double glazing in one or two of our Andersen casement windows is
leaky, as evidenced by condensation and/or dirt between the two sheets
of glass.

How easy would it be to replace the glass myself? Any tips?

MB

Look in the LOWER CORNER of your windows to find an ETCHING.
Check them all.

There is a manufacture date there ( never knew that ) - write down any
numbers.

Call Andersen toll free.

Andersen replaced 3 of my 4 windows under factory warranty.
Give them the numbers and they sent it with no inspection at all.

James Nipper

So, does the average homeowner know how to reinstall the glass?

Is it hard to do ??

--James--

Call Andersen. They will probably send new sashes for free.