ted

Default no hot water only in the tub (sink is fine)

My guest bath tub is not getting hot water. We don't use it that often
but the last time we used it had hot water. The sink in the same
bathroom gets ho****er only the shower doesn't.
I read on the google and someone suggested cleaning the "filter under
the faucet". Where is it located?

We are expecting family for holidays. We need to get it done asap.
Thanks for all your help.
Speedy Jim

ted wrote:

My guest bath tub is not getting hot water. We don't use it that often
but the last time we used it had hot water. The sink in the same
bathroom gets ho****er only the shower doesn't.
I read on the google and someone suggested cleaning the "filter under
the faucet". Where is it located?

We are expecting family for holidays. We need to get it done asap.
Thanks for all your help.

No filter on the tub. Disregard.

Post back with the type of faucet. Single Handle? Brand ?
How old?

Jim
John Willis

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:32:43 -0500, Speedy Jim
scribbled this interesting note:

ted wrote:

My guest bath tub is not getting hot water. We don't use it that often
but the last time we used it had hot water. The sink in the same
bathroom gets ho****er only the shower doesn't.
I read on the google and someone suggested cleaning the "filter under
the faucet". Where is it located?

We are expecting family for holidays. We need to get it done asap.
Thanks for all your help.

No filter on the tub. Disregard.

Post back with the type of faucet. Single Handle? Brand ?
How old?

I recently had an interesting problem come up in one of our houses.

My tenant called me one morning to let me know she had to take a cold
shower that morning, but she was able to give the baby a warm bath in
the kitchen.

The hot water was no making it to the bath tub.

So I pack up the plumbing box and other items and head on over. Sure
enough, there is no water going to the hot side of the tub faucet. I
try the lavatory, and no water there either. The kitchen is fine,
plenty of hot water there! I look at the water heater and all is fine
with it.

Next step? Clear out a closet and open the access hole. Had to clear
out all the little girl toys from the closet first!

I peek under the house and what do I see? I see an air conditioning
refrigeration line. And it has ice on it. And it runs directly under
the hot water line to the bathroom. Both are well insulated, but that
made no difference when the a/c froze up!

I look at the filter in the air conditioner and sure enough it looks
like it hadn't been changed since these folks rented the house (and it
was a new filter when they moved in, I always make sure of this.) The
coils inside are completely frozen too.

In this case, when there was no hot water to the bathroom, the cause
was a clogged filter in the air conditioner. Not saying this could be
the case for the original poster, but odd things like this happen from
time to time. I called my a/c guy and he said to just let run for a
while and thaw out and all will be fine. It was the first time in
thousands of calls that he'd ever heard of that happening!

Sometimes a plumbing problem is just a plumbing problem. Sometimes it
is a hvac problem. Dig in and figure it out!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
ted

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
ted wrote:

My guest bath tub is not getting hot water. We don't use it that often
but the last time we used it had hot water. The sink in the same
bathroom gets ho****er only the shower doesn't.
I read on the google and someone suggested cleaning the "filter under
the faucet". Where is it located?

We are expecting family for holidays. We need to get it done asap.
Thanks for all your help.

No filter on the tub. Disregard.

Post back with the type of faucet. Single Handle? Brand ?
How old?

Jim

It's a Moen single handle. one year old cartridge. We replaced the
cartridge last year due to a leak. Thanks.

Speedy Jim

ted wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote in message ...

ted wrote:

My guest bath tub is not getting hot water. We don't use it that often
but the last time we used it had hot water. The sink in the same
bathroom gets ho****er only the shower doesn't.
I read on the google and someone suggested cleaning the "filter under
the faucet". Where is it located?

We are expecting family for holidays. We need to get it done asap.
Thanks for all your help.

No filter on the tub. Disregard.

Post back with the type of faucet. Single Handle? Brand ?
How old?

Jim

It's a Moen single handle. one year old cartridge. We replaced the
cartridge last year due to a leak. Thanks.

I wouldn't rule out a failed cartridge, or a remnant of
an old O-ring which is blocking a passage.
Pulling the cartridge to inspect should tell.

While it's out, flush the passages by briefly turning the
water supply back on. Be prepared for the stream of water
which will shoot out.
Jim

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM