Finite Guy

Default Mice in the attic

Hi All: I just noticed recently that there are mice (or equivalent
rodent) in my attic. I can hear them in the upstairs wall near a
radiator. I went up into the attic ( I have a cape with an attic) and
I found some plastic bags chewed up.
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them to
climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.
Robert
m Ransley

They climb, I have Flying Squirrels in my attic I cant find their hole.
Throw mothballs up there and put out poison or traps

Jmagerl

Whereever you enter the attic, stick some traps. That way you can poke your
head up and get them without too much trouble. Make sure you tie the traps
to something. Occasionally the mouse will drag the trap into the insulation
and you can't find it. Soon he is smelling.

I seem to get attic mice in groups of 10. As for holes, they're everywhere.
I would find attic insulation in the basement and have no idea how they were
dragging it down there..

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi All: I just noticed recently that there are mice (or equivalent
rodent) in my attic. I can hear them in the upstairs wall near a
radiator. I went up into the attic ( I have a cape with an attic) and
I found some plastic bags chewed up.
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them to
climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.
Robert

Phisherman

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:52:42 GMT, Finite Guy
wrote:

Hi All: I just noticed recently that there are mice (or equivalent
rodent) in my attic. I can hear them in the upstairs wall near a
radiator. I went up into the attic ( I have a cape with an attic) and
I found some plastic bags chewed up.
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them to
climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.
Robert

Mice or squirrels can climb up a chimney or brick with ease. I'm sure
they can do the same with a cable or wire going to the house (are your
utility wires underground?) Be a detective--Look for holes near the
eaves, corners, vents, etc and cover with hardware cloth or metal.
You could use D-Con, but that's only a temporary fix.
Joseph Meehan

Finite Guy wrote:
Hi All: I just noticed recently that there are mice (or equivalent
rodent) in my attic. I can hear them in the upstairs wall near a
radiator. I went up into the attic ( I have a cape with an attic) and
I found some plastic bags chewed up.
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them to
climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.
Robert

You will never find and block all the possible accesses. Even if you
did, they would just make new ones.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bob Cooper

The rodent problem is the main reason we've adopted a couple of crazy
half wild cats as pets. In the last 2 weeks they've bagged three rats
that we know of. They help with gophers and mice too. Around here
they don't over populate - coyotes, red tailed hawks get them first.
Cats are hard on Quail which I see in other parts of town but not in
our neighborhood.

Before that we mainly used traps with peanut butter bait. Those glue
trays are good for mice but a rat will often get away - even if he
looses a leg in the process!

Every year when the weather turns cold, the critters start thinking
about winter quarters. One time we found they were getting into the
attic thru the garage by jumping up to the furnace and climing up the
fiber glass insulation then squeezing between the inch opening around
the plenum where it entered the attic. Got most of them by placing
the traps where they needed to pass before they could get to the
insulation.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Greg

Cats may make you feel good by bringing you a dead or dying animal now and then
(usually not the target species) but they will not significantly affect the
population of a rodent. Rats and mice can outbreed the ability of a cat to
catch them and they can stay away from the cat by hiding or travelling in
places too small for the cat to follow. Maybe that is why people think they
have so much success. Out of sight, out of mind.
You really need to seal up the means of entry and trap out the ones that are
inside. Anything else is just ****ing on the fire.

shawn

They can shimmy up a cable or brace themselves against a pipe, gutter,
etc. I had them in an attic when I moved in. You can trap,poison,etc
but ultimately you're going to have to find where they're getting in
unless you just have one of those houses with a million places they
can get in at.

I finally located several places they could get in. Closed them off.
no more problems. Also cut back tree branches, etc. They have to be
getting in somehow...finding its a bitch though as they can make it in
very small places. I have concrete barrel roof tiles, lucked out an
found a 1 inch hole in a worn sheathing section underneath a tile.

good luck.

Finite Guy wrote in message . ..
Hi All: I just noticed recently that there are mice (or equivalent
rodent) in my attic. I can hear them in the upstairs wall near a
radiator. I went up into the attic ( I have a cape with an attic) and
I found some plastic bags chewed up.
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them to
climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.
Robert

Pat McC.

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
snip
I am try to figure out how they are getting is it possible for them

climb up the side of the house on a cable? I can't find any holes or
spaces at ground level.

Yup. We have a continuing problem with mice in our attic. In one spot,
they apparently climbed up the exterior wall either on or in the
conduit that houses the electrical wires coming into the house, then
somehow made their way over to an attic vent where they chewed through
the fiberglass screen stapled to it. We've now added a layer of
aluminum screen over that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then u get cat **** which is disease ridden too. Ps. Some rats will bite and hurt your cat so please just be careful and if in a closed space, dont put cats in there.

--