john_williams

Default Propane heat for garage... (long)

I have an attached 2 floor 2 car garage that was built about 100 years ago,
here in New Hampshire... It's balloon framed, and the second floor joists
sit on a 1 x 4 set into the Studs, which run from the ground to the gabled
roof. (It's pretty cool.)

I need to heat the first floor. I have a full size propane grill in there,
which I can simply turn on to supply some heat...

1) Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Do you think it will heat
the space from 0 degrees F up to 40 degrees F?

2) Is there something I can do to help old the heat in? Perhaps plastic on
the floor above to hold the air in? The entire barn is uninsulated.

Thanks for your thoughts

Joe Bobst

I have a full size propane grill in there,
Do you think it will heat
the space from 0 degrees F up to 40 degrees F?

Very dubious. CO2 does not support life.

1) Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

It's not very effective, and not especially safe. Wear insulated grubbies when
you work out there. Start by drywalling and insulating the first floor and get
a Modine or similar hanging heater set up for propane or NG, your choice. HTH

Joe

Edwin Pawlowski

"john_williams" wrote in message
I have an attached 2 floor 2 car garage that was built about 100 years

ago,
here in New Hampshire... It's balloon framed, and the second floor joists
sit on a 1 x 4 set into the Studs, which run from the ground to the gabled
roof. (It's pretty cool.)

A 1 x 4"? Does not sound sturdy.

I need to heat the first floor. I have a full size propane grill in

there,
which I can simply turn on to supply some heat...

1) Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Do you think it will

heat
the space from 0 degrees F up to 40 degrees F?

First, do NOT use the grill. It is not designed to be used in a closed
space and it can give off carbon monoxide. There are unvented heaters that
can be run indoors. Reddy Heater is available from 30,000 to 80,000 Btu.

Do you want to heat the garage all the time or only when you are working in
there? The answer to that will determine how much insulation you need. I
have a detached garage and I've insulated a portion of it. The 30,000 Btu
heater will not get it to 40 degrees when it is 0 outside. I get a 25 to 30
degree temperature rise. If you insulate, vapor barrier and sheetrock the
walls, do the same on the ceiling with even more insulation, you have a
chance of getting the smaller heater to do the job.

If you are going to spend short periods of time there, an infrared heater
aimed at your work area may be best. It will keep you warm instantly.

Heat treating 4130 steel at home John Olson Metalworking 21 October 7th 15 11:54 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Adjusting aux heat threshold Steve Home Ownership 0 January 28th 04 08:12 PM
Heat pump thermostat question Michael Baugh Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 07:50 AM
Heat pump versus oil versus propane in southern NH Gerome Home Ownership 3 October 7th 03 05:26 PM