Men

Default Cat wrecked heating insulation

We live in a small apartment and have a new furnace heater which feeds
the hot air through a simple duct system. The heater is in one of the
closets and the ducts are insulated with what looks like some type of
soft aluminum foil wrapped around some cushy insulation. In a couple
of spots, there is wrapped also some of that soft, fluffy insulation I
guess to reinforce the areas where the ducts meet.

(Well, you can already see how sophisticated my knowledge is about
home improvement.)

A few times our cat got into the closet and used the insulation as a
scratching post -- so there are some tears in the soft tin foil part.
She also pulled apart the soft fluffy insulation where it was used
outside of the ducts.

Finally, she actually caused an elbow where the dicts meet to come
apart so I had to refasten it.

My question is, considering that her claws did only minimal damage to
the insulation, is there any danger in running the heater?

Also, does the soft fluffy insulation pose any kind of threat? I mean
is it like asbestos or anything?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input!
Doug Kanter

The fiberglass insulation isn't something you want wafting around your air.
When installing it, it's customary to wear a dust mask. Skin contact can
cause itching unless it's rinsed off, preferably with cool water. Don't
touch your eyes after you've touched the insulation, unless you've washed
your hands.

Tell the cat to stop behaving like a dog. If you can't train all the humans
to keep the closet locked, sprinkle a ****load of cayenne powder all over
the heater ducts and on the floor around them. Two or three encounters with
that stuff will usually teach the average cat.

This could be worse. You could have a dog. Think positive.

"Men" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Joseph Meehan

Men wrote:
[...]

Without seeing it I would not want to make any comments on the safety of
using the system as it is. While it is likely not a safety issue, I can't
be sure. You may want a professional to take a look.

Also provide the cat with a better and more convenient scratching tool.
Mine like the cardboard ones. One likes it flat on the floor and the other
wants it attached to something to use it vertical and high enough so he can
stretch up to it.

You will also want to provide protection to keep the cat away from the
damaged area. Keeping the closet door shut might do it. :-)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

David Martel

Joseph,

You've lost me here. She has some damaged insulation around her heating
ducts which she describes as minimal yet you raise the red flag of danger
and suggest calling a heating guy. What danger do you imagine here. She
needs to fix the ripped insulation with duct tape and deal with the cat.
Calling a pro would be a waste of money unless she has completely mis-stated
her problem. Would you call a pro for some cat torn insulation on duct work,
yourself?

Dave M.

Joseph Meehan

"PJX" wrote in message
news
On 31 Oct 2004 19:00:26 -0800, (Men) wrote:

[...]

That's why they make duct tape.

Pj

I strongly suggest common duct tape not be used for this. It has many
uses, but taping ducts in not one of them. While it may hold up a little
better on the cooler insulation, it just does not last all that long.

Getting the real thing (the shinny silver metal tape) is a much better
ideal. It is more expensive, and a little harder to work with (it has a
paper cover on the adhesive that must be removed) but it last much longer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"David Martel" wrote in message
link.net...
Joseph,

You've lost me here. She has some damaged insulation around her heating
ducts which she describes as minimal yet you raise the red flag of danger
and suggest calling a heating guy. What danger do you imagine here. She
needs to fix the ripped insulation with duct tape and deal with the cat.
Calling a pro would be a waste of money unless she has completely
mis-stated
her problem. Would you call a pro for some cat torn insulation on duct
work,
yourself?

Dave M.

I only suggested it because from the description I could not be sure it
involved only the ducts.

"The heater is in one of the closets and the ducts are insulated"

While it is not clear, that could mean that some of the problem was on
the heater. If there is no damage to insulation on the heater itself (or
immediate ducting) then I would agree that there is no need to call in the
professions.

I tend to be extra careful about interpreting what someone is trying to
describe.

m Ransley

Its fiberglass a skin ,eye irritant. Use the real aluminum tape for
ducts not " duct" tape. You wont harm the furnace but will loose
efficiency.

Doug Kanter

"David Martel" wrote in message
link.net...
Joseph,

You've lost me here. She has some damaged insulation around her heating
ducts which she describes as minimal yet you raise the red flag of danger
and suggest calling a heating guy. What danger do you imagine here. She
needs to fix the ripped insulation with duct tape and deal with the cat.
Calling a pro would be a waste of money unless she has completely

mis-stated
her problem. Would you call a pro for some cat torn insulation on duct

work,
yourself?

Dave M.

If someone asks about the nature of fiberglass insulation, would you say
they have MORE experience fixing things around the house, or LESS? Perhaps
she's a member of the generation that thinks books will explode if you open
them, and won't go near the public library or the book display at Home
Depot.