Greg

Default Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R) receptacle?

The "receptacle" is the single socket and it doesn't matter how many you string
out on a yoke when you are applying 210.21(B)(2)
If we used your intrepretation you could put one of those 6 socket plug strips
on a 90a breaker.

IAEI, SBCCI, ICBO certified and Florida licensed inspector longer than Jack.
Greg

BTW I have a crisp $100 bill for anyone who can show me a 5-20 or 6-20 duplex
receptacle device that is actuallty listed and labelled for 40a.
Joe Bobst

This topic has generated a major number of orphan posts. Is it because people
are switching away from M$ Internet Explorer? Unusual...

Joe
HA HA Budys Here

As for your characterization of non-union workers as scabs - a LARGE
percentage of electricians in the residential market in Ontario (and
elsewhere) are not elegible to belong to your beloved union because
they are "self employed" and therefore "management". Like the rest of
the building trades, everything is subcontracted.

Typically, subcontractors hire their workforce and the wiremen on residential
jobs are indeed employees of those subcontractors, not self-employed.

Joe Bobst

Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R)
receptacle

plonk

Joe
HA HA Budys Here

In misc.industry.utilities.electric Joe Fabeitz wrote:

| Probably something that you ALL know but here goes:
| The folks that publish the very techie, boring NEC also publish a
"handbook"
| with lots of pictures and explanations of the NEC. Appears to be designed
| more for the common man / DIYer / pathetic newsgroups junkie, etc.

But, where the handbook and the code differ, does the DIYer still have to
consult the code anyway? See, what I want is for the answer to that question
to be "NO". E.g. that would mean that whatever the handbook says can be
done,
is allowable if the DIYer did things according to the book (and that may well
mean having done nothing else that went beyond what the book says).

My whole point is for the DIYer to have exactly ONE resource which allows
them to get it right and passable the first time without having to consult
the code, and that resource be so good that no inspector will ever fail it
unless the inspector is at fault or the publisher will cover all costs to
modify the project up to passable.

In other words, you want a one-stop book that will permit a reasonably
intelligent handyman or homeowner to accomplish an electrical job flawlessly,
which takes most professional electricians at least 5 or more years to master
while working side by side with seasoned craftsmen.

It ain't gonna happen.

And yes, I know there will be some DIYers that are too dense to follow any
book no matter how well written. So it may well be an unachievable goal.

Is there a book I can get that will teach and show me how to, point by point,
design and engineer and build my own trusses?

Perhaps it might be easier to get the NEC to reword their poorly worded
sections so at least those sections can be used as a guide, even though they
say the whole code shouldn't be used as a guide. I just want there to be
some resource that literally says what it means and can be used to get any
home (not commercial or industrial) installation passable the first time if
followed to the letter.

The fact that (as another poster reported) some work styles being unpassable
in one area, but passable in another, makes me wonder if the inspectors can
be consistent with the code itself, at least for homeowner DIY work. If a
local area wants to restrict things to a specific way, they should put that
in their local code, clearly. And if the DIY homeowner needs to follow it,
it damned well better be clear. Take no excuses from bureaucrats.

It's not an excuse, it's all about the opinion as to what is acceptable and
what is not according to the Authority having jurisdiction.

In some jurisdictions, running the NM homeruns into a panel using 1 single 2"
knockout and a PVC pipe connector is perfectly acceptable, while in others each
and every NM cable must be secured with an individual romex clamp.

How does one define "mechanically secure?"

It's just like a court case - the same case in front of 2 different judges
might yield 2 different judgements.

If you think it's possible to learn an entire aspect of a trade from a book,
then Sally Struthers has a course to sell you.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN |
http://linuxhomepage.com/ http://ham.org/ |