Heineken77

Default Garage Door Company...Any Associations?

Hello,

I have opened my own garage door company, and I'm wondering if anyone could
offer me some advice on increasing business. I'm in Toronto, ON Canada, and
would really appreciate it if some of you could take a moment and give me
some advice.

At the moment, I'm focusing soley on the residential market. I'm interested
in gathering property management accounts who own and manage townhouse
complexes in order to do their service and installations. I would also be
interested in doing work for new developments, installing new doors.

I'm considering joining an association, however I don't know what the best
association would be in order to expand my clientele, especially in terms of
the property management firms that manage townhouse complexes etc.

At the moment, the two associations I've found a http://www.newhomes.org
(Toronto Home Builder's Association) and http://www.tcanetworks.com/
(Toronto Construction Association).

Even after reading through the available information, I'd still like to hear
from some who are either in my position, or who have been part of an
association themselves, and can offer me some insight on their experience,
and how much it actually helped their business flow to justify the cost of
membership.

I'd really enjoy reading any input any of you folks can offer on this, or
any other advice you would be willing to offer.

Thank you very much for your time!
Arjay

MUADIB®

In the area I live, there are many "Big Name" builders that often take
bids on common installations per home or apartment construction, and
will use the best priced offer. Some will not accept "new" bidders as
they are used to using and dealing with a company that gives them more
than average time to pay for the work or something of that nature.

I think you have a good idea for start. However, I'd suggest you start
hounding some of the local builders inthe area, and see if you can get
a foot in the door with some very busy builder, by offering to fill in
in a pinch for the same amount as another company or maybe a bit
cheaper till they get a chance to see the quality of the work and
product you are offering. Build from there.

I suppose you have the money for some stock to set aside for sometimes
as long as 180 days to pay???? Some are that bad. Some are not. But
you WILL have to foot the bill for a time for them
anyway............nature of the business in my area.

Like I said. your original Ideas are great. If you can make it doing
just residential service and new installations on older homes, I'd say
stick with that till you have more work than you can handle and move
up from there.

Good luck!.............I wish I were doing something similar.
(starting my own business anyway)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Chris Carruth

You may want to directly contact the area's largest builders versus going
through the trade industry. Local planning and inspection departmetns keep
tabs of builders and can tell you who is stable, who is building like you
know what, and who is fading. They cannot endorse or recommend, but they
have the raw numbers from which you can figure it out.

"Heineken77" wrote in message
[...]

Rich

Most reputable builders will sub-contract their work to reputable
installers. If they hire some "unknown" it is usually because they are
handing off a job to a low bidder. In which case they're more concerned
about the price rather then the quality of the workmanship (their business
is probably failing). This leaves much to be desired of the builder. In
this scenario chances are you are not going to get paid on time if you get
paid at all. A good builder would sub an experienced installer with