MIchael Jasper

Default Sump Pump Discharge Questions

Hi -

I recently bought a house with a flotec pedestal pump in a basement
sump, and a terrible leaky flexible hose that the previous owners ran
to a sink when needed. Based on last spring, the basement rarely
floods - pump only ran after extended rain - at least two days
continuous, heavy rain. Don't know about spring thaw - moved in after
that.

I'm considering replacing the pedestal pump with a submersible (same
brand, same hp 1/3).

Also want to install permanent discharge. Was planning to use the
inexpensive flexible black plastic stuff for the run up to the sill,
then put PVC through the sill, and outside. I bought some 1 1/4" PVC
at home depot (they were out of elbows for 1 1/2". )

Here are my questions:

1) Submersible vs pedestal - any reason not to change? 1/3 hp enough
for this kind of intermittent running? Rise is about 9 feet.
2) PVC - Okay to use 1 1/4 ? I've noticed other posts seem to
recommend 1 1/2". Is there much difference?
3) I'm a bit nervous about drilling through my sill and siding (vinyl)
- any special things I should know before I do that ? (Plan to use a
hole saw on a corded drill).
4) Okay to let PVC run on surface downhill and just empty behind a
hedge down the hill several feet? Some folks seem to be saying the
discharge will smell terrible and mess up the lawn in the area it
dumps. The gutter goes in the ground and I assume either runs to sewer
or to drywell. Guy at home depot said don't tap into that or I might
overflow the calculated capacity for that system.
5) People suggest various vacuum break systems - some say drill small
hole just above check valve, others suggest adding T outside with
riser - do I need the latter?

Thanks all for any help.
Michael Jasper

John Davies

On 18 Oct 2004 15:03:14 -0700, (MIchael Jasper) wrote:

2) PVC - Okay to use 1 1/4 ? I've noticed other posts seem to
recommend 1 1/2". Is there much difference?

Follow the printed recommendations from the pump manufacturer and you
can't go wrong. Don't guess!!! Obviously, the longer the run, the
bigger the pipe.

I personally would never use pvc outside the house - it degrades when
exposed to ultraviolet light and gets brittle. It isn't so important
with a drain line (as opposed to a pressurized water line) but why
risk having to replace it in a few years? If it gets brittle and
someone trips over the pipe it will shatter, probably where it exits
the foundation. I would use galvanized steel outside the house, with
the steel/ pvc joint located inside the basement and well clamped to a
solid support.. Steel is more expensive, but how many times do you
want to do this job?

4) Okay to let PVC run on surface downhill and just empty behind a
hedge down the hill several feet? Some folks seem to be saying the
discharge will smell terrible and mess up the lawn in the area it
dumps. The gutter goes in the ground and I assume either runs to sewer
or to drywell. Guy at home depot said don't tap into that or I might
overflow the calculated capacity for that system.

I don't see any problems with your plan as long as the area you are
discharging into slopes away from the house, doesn't flow onto a
neighbor's lot, and erosion won't be a problem. It shouldn't smell -
its ground water and rain water. I agree the discharge shouldn't go
into the downspout drain, unless you know _for sure_ the drain pipe is
clear of roots and debris and is extra large (4 inches). Then it might
be ok. If the drain pipe ever clogs up you will have a real mess....

5) People suggest various vacuum break systems - some say drill small
hole just above check valve, others suggest adding T outside with
riser - do I need the latter?

Install a check valve at the pump discharge outlet, as another poster
suggested, Make sure the valve is readily accessible in case you need
to remove it for cleaning. Important!!! - install a reducing tee and a
small ball valve above the check valve so you can drain the discharge
pipe for winterizatioon and servicing.

The real purpose of a vacuum breaker is to protect your potable water
system. I don't see any reason you would have any need for one on a
sump pump.

Thanks all for any help.

Call your local building inspector and ask what is local code. As the
homeowner you may deviate from code if you really want to, but it is
safer in terms of selling your home to make sure any modifications
meet code. Especially with a highly visible and important sump pump
system.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA
John Hines

John Davies wrote:

5) People suggest various vacuum break systems - some say drill small
hole just above check valve, others suggest adding T outside with
riser - do I need the latter?

Install a check valve at the pump discharge outlet, as another poster
suggested, Make sure the valve is readily accessible in case you need
to remove it for cleaning. Important!!! - install a reducing tee and a
small ball valve above the check valve so you can drain the discharge
pipe for winterizatioon and servicing.

The real purpose of a vacuum breaker is to protect your potable water
system. I don't see any reason you would have any need for one on a
sump pump.

I think he is referring to the outlet, one might want a way to break the
vacuum, when the pump is off, so that the pipe will drain, which could
be important if it is subject to freezing.

This is where you would put in a "Y" or "T" fitting, at the top end of
the drain run, so that it will drain on its own. Probably un-needed in a
low use situation, and you would have to be careful of that the pipe
doesn't plug downstream, since that would overflow.

So that is a mixed bag, with good and bad.