John Hines

(MIchael Jasper) wrote:

3) I'm a bit nervous about drilling through my sill and siding (vinyl)
- any special things I should know before I do that ? (Plan to use a
hole saw on a corded drill).

Be sure your in the right place, as it is very hard to patch mistakes.

4) Okay to let PVC run on surface downhill and just empty behind a
hedge down the hill several feet? Some folks seem to be saying the
discharge will smell terrible and mess up the lawn in the area it
dumps. The gutter goes in the ground and I assume either runs to sewer
or to drywell. Guy at home depot said don't tap into that or I might
overflow the calculated capacity for that system.

Look into the sump pit, and see what is in there! It sounds like it is
ground water, which should be clear and reasonably clean. You won't have
a problem, unless the sump discharges waster water (laundry, kitchen,
etc output).

5) People suggest various vacuum break systems - some say drill small
hole just above check valve, others suggest adding T outside with
riser - do I need the latter?

For best results, put the check valve right at the sump pump. It is
when there is a pipe between them, that is when you can get airlock.