misterfact

Default Any kerosene heaters that burn dirty I should avoid buying?

?????
James Nipper

Most
Michael Baugh

It's a fuel, when burned there are combustion products.
They consist of carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and
nitrogen dioxide.
So an unvented unit delivers those products to the room.
Plan to have a window open to provide combustion air?
Plan to keep children out of there because they're more
vunerable to the carbon monoxide?
http://www.sleekhome.com/help/Kerose...ters-38600.htm

Al Bundy wrote in message
om...
(misterfact) wrote in message

. com...
?????

All

SQLit

"misterfact" wrote in message
om...
?????

As others have said they are all dirty. Unless you can find one that vents
outside. A friend of mine in Iowa has one that looks like a window a/c
installed in a 4 season patio. We came in from dinner one night and decided
to play pool and his boy turned on this Kerosun unit and with in 20 minutes
it was toasty. It was just above freezing that night. They only run it when
they are home and awake.

---

Ceraboy

(misterfact) wrote in message . com...
?????

Nearly all kerosene heater are built quite similar. As a result, I
have never had a kerosene heater that when adjusted and working
properly burns dirty even with what people call a bad batch of kero.
There is a simple checklist to make sure your heater burns properly,
and every person I have run into with a dirty burning heater
apparently lacks the ability to read and comprehend operating and
maintenance instructions. Most people are negative about kerosene
heaters, because they dont know how to use them properly.

1. Make sure the wick is level (most newer units have pins to assure
this, but not always)

2. Make sure the wick is in good shape (it should be burned dry
periodically to burn off the carbon deposits on the glass fibers)

3. Make sure you adjust the flame to the appropriate level. Most
heaters have negigable heat adjustment, however, most people feel
obligated to try produce more or less heat by adjusting the wick. Too
low a flame or too high a flame and you will get plenty of odor. Once
you fire the unit up, you need to check on it after 10 - 15 minutes of
running to adjust the flame height and then it is good to go.

My family has been burning these things for over 20 years and never
has someone said, whoa what is that smell. Better yet, I have not had
the multiple CO detectors in my house ever register a blip using both
my heaters simultaneously (Kerosun Omni 85 and Kerosun Omni 105). In
regards to brands, the Toyostove/Kerosun units are typically regarded
as the best in the business and usually sell between 100 - 200
dollars. If you are still worried about fumes/toxic byproducts you
might consider the Toyostove DC 100. This is the double burner design
and is probably the cleanest burning heater available. Further the
double burn allows you to adjust the heat output. It is a nice heater
but will cost you up to 300 bucks. As another note, if you use the
kerosene heater very sparingly you might consider the kerosene
substitutes that sell at Home Depot and other stores. These burn
cleaner, hotter, and have no odor, but you will pay up to 8 bucks a
gallon.
Jim B

On 17 Oct 2004 12:26:12 -0700, (Ceraboy) wrote:

I agree with everything here. However, you should buy a kerosene heater that is
easy to remove, clean and reinstall the wick. I have a Dyna-Glow RMC-95-C7 and
Heat Mate, Dyna-Glow have a slightly larger tank capacity therefore, last much
longer. But, took me more than 2 hours to clean and replace the wick. The reason
being there are two studs in on opposite sides of the wick you need to align to
the heater mechanism, it took ages to get it right. While the Heat Mate took 15
to 20 minutes to replace the wick.

If I have to buy another, I will almost certain buy a heater that is easy to
remove and reinstall the wick.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

The used one from the garage sale that's running on a three year old wick.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"misterfact" wrote in message
om...
?????

Jim B

On 18 Oct 2004 14:16:33 -0700, (Ceraboy) wrote:

Each trip, I bought 40 gals (8X5/gal containers) for $60.75 (seventy-five cents
sales tax!). You would do well this winter to explore around your County for the
nearest cooperative to buy cheap kerosene. Just in case anyone is skeptical, the
kerosene I bought is K1 and dye red.

This morning on NPR news, reported that there will be less than normal supply of
fuel oil available this winter. I suggest that you stock up more than your
normal need.

For those who are thinking of buying a kerosene heater, remember to buy one
that can last at least 8 hrs per filling and make sure the wick can be remove
and replace easily, ie: the wick has no metal studs (3) sticking out. It's a
pain in the arse(sorry) to replace them. Don't know if the kerosene heater's
wick has any metal studs, buy a spare wick, examine it carefully and metal studs
free. I normally have two to three spare wicks for each winter.

Wow, $1.25 per gallon is a great deal, I would trade in my electric
syhpon for kero at that price. I get mine at a local gas station
about a mile from my house for $2.19 - 2.49 per gallon ( it is nice
undyed 1-K kerosene ). Home Depot sells the kero at about 5 bucks per
gallon by the gallon jug and the kero substitute for 8 bucks a gallon
around my place. I should look into the some places that are more
rural and sell by the drum or at least 5 gallon size. How much kero
do you buy at once at the co-op. I usually only keep 10-15gallons on
hand since the refill site is so darn close.