Alan D.

Default Attaching a new phone plug to a cable

Hello everyone,
I have a phone extension cord pulled from one side of a room to another one
(around the room, under the carpet). The thing is that the extension cord is
way too long, which results in big bundle of unused cable at the "output"
location. I'd like to cut the cable down, and re-attach a new phone plug
onto the new end. My y question is - is there a way of attaching a plug onto
the cable without that special "crimping" tool. I don't really feel like
buying this tool just to do a one time job (I will if I need to) but thought
that perhaps there's another way of doing this. I'd greatly appreciate any
information or advice. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Greg

- is there a way of attaching a plug onto
the cable without that special "crimping" tool.

The short answer is no. I have done it with a small screwdriver, one contact at
a time but I ended up breaking the strain relief. I suppose if you get the
touch you could do it.
You can put a wall socket there and use a patch cord.
willshak

Alan D. wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a phone extension cord pulled from one side of a room to another one
(around the room, under the carpet). The thing is that the extension cord is
way too long, which results in big bundle of unused cable at the "output"
location. I'd like to cut the cable down, and re-attach a new phone plug
onto the new end. My y question is - is there a way of attaching a plug onto
the cable without that special "crimping" tool. I don't really feel like
buying this tool just to do a one time job (I will if I need to) but thought
that perhaps there's another way of doing this. I'd greatly appreciate any
information or advice. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Alan D.

I've put plugs on shortened phone wires and installed phone jacks in the
wall for phone wires that I strung myself.
I did not have the special crimp tool. I just used a pair of pliers to
set the crimp tabs. Don't ask me for a step-by-step tutorial because I
did this about 15 years ago.
Jamie

As others have noted it is probably possible to do without a crimping tool,
but the other side of the coin what are the costs and benefits of just
buying the tool. You can probably get a cheap one for under 10 bucks, well
worth avoiding possible headaches from an improperly installed connector.

Acutally, I realize I have at least two plastic ones lying around that
probably came with some installation kit. Want one? Paypal me 5 bucks and
I'll mail one to you ;-) Email this address and I'll send you my real email
address and contact info.

"Alan D." wrote in message
[...]

Jamie

If you could buy phone cords in increments of 6" anywhere from 3 feet to 50
feet, that might work. But you can't which pretty much seems to be his
problem. The reality is, you can probably buy a tool, some bulk wire and a
box of connectors for barely more than you would pay for a single pre-made
cord. And then you've got the stuff next time you need to do it.

"Alan D." wrote in message
[...]

JustDave

"Alan D." wrote in message
[...]

Cut the plug and a few inches of wire off the cord. Cut off the excess wire.
Re-splice the red and green wires - twist will work, solder is better. Tape
joint. Done.

ameijers

"JustDave" wrote in message
. ..

"Alan D." wrote in message
[...]

Bet you never tried to splice cheap modular flat cable. Ain't no red and
green to it, if it is the typical clear/silver stuff, and most cases, just
microscopic copper strands, almost foil. I have done it, but it was tedious
and not very reliable. OP should just buy a shorter cable, or wire a real
outlet (using surface mount, if needed, with cable hidden in carpet crack
behind tack strip, if it is wall-to-wall), or just chill out and restring
the wire, and tuck the rolled-up excess in a less noticable spot like behind
a table or something. It would be cheaper than buying the crimping tool and
bag of connectors, probably.

aem sends...

Alan D.

Hello Everyone;
Thank you for all your suggestions and interesting comments. As a matter of
fact I have already solved the problem (?) by borrowing a tool from a friend
(hehe, should have checked with him before) and buying a box of plugs from
Home Depot. This wasn't really an issue of money (since the tool is cheap -
i.e. around 10 CDN) but rather trying to find out if the tool is the only
way of solving the problem. Never the less it was really interesting to see
how many approaches were taken by so many people. Thank you again for taking
your time to respond to my question. I just started to read this group
recently (after having been a first tme home owner for the past 2 weeks)
and have to admit, that this is one of the most (if not THE most)
interesting and informative groups I have encountered so far on the usenet.
Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Alan D.

willshak

Jamie wrote:

Nice to know that people are getting some benefit out of this beyond the
Bush/Kerry debate!

There are Bush-Kerry messages in here? Everything I see in here is on
topic for home repair. I have a bunch of filters set, so I don't see the
garbage, though. Maybe that's the reason I don't see any.

[...]

Jamie

Hmm, good idea... I never though to check my newsreader, perhaps there's a
way I can ignore a topic. There are a bunch of topics that frequently
dominate the lower-half of my newreader... seem to have nearly as much
traffic as actual home-improvement related questions.

Bush & Cheney = Retard & Crook platform
Heavy bag of misinformation

Kerry should work at IHOP. not run for president

Pol: Lee Iacocca drops Bush, backs Kerry

[...]

Stormin Mormon

You could probably buy a ten pack of the ends, and then slip the cut off
wire in, and press the little metal contacts in with a hammer and a slotted
jewlers screw driver.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus