Kyle Boatright

Default Rotozip for Installed Tile?

I have a tiled bathroom which has a single switch for the light. I'm
installing an overhead light and a fart fan, and need to add a bigger switch
box. The problem is the box would be in a tiled area, and I can't just rip
out a couple of tiles and cut new ones to fit (I don't have any matching
tile).

So, would a rotozip or equivalent work to neatly enlarge the existing hole
through the tile.

Is there a better way to do this? (Remember, I don't have any spare tile,
nor do I know what grout was used when the tile was installed).

Thanks in advance...

KB

Chubs

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I have a tiled bathroom which has a single switch for the light. I'm
installing an overhead light and a fart fan, and need to add a bigger

switch
box. The problem is the box would be in a tiled area, and I can't just

rip
out a couple of tiles and cut new ones to fit (I don't have any matching
tile).

So, would a rotozip or equivalent work to neatly enlarge the existing

hole
through the tile.

Is there a better way to do this? (Remember, I don't have any spare tile,
nor do I know what grout was used when the tile was installed).

Thanks in advance...

KB

I believe you've got the right idea. Besides, the edges shouldn't need to
be perfect as long as you're using a switch cover plate, right?

Also, I believe the technical-correct term for your fan is a "Fart
Snatcher". Then again, maybe those are just the HD models that are called
that.
LOL

SQLit

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I have a tiled bathroom which has a single switch for the light. I'm
installing an overhead light and a fart fan, and need to add a bigger

switch
box. The problem is the box would be in a tiled area, and I can't just

rip
out a couple of tiles and cut new ones to fit (I don't have any matching
tile).

So, would a rotozip or equivalent work to neatly enlarge the existing

hole
through the tile.

Is there a better way to do this? (Remember, I don't have any spare tile,
nor do I know what grout was used when the tile was installed).

Thanks in advance...

KB

So put the fart chaser and light on the same switch and use an stacked
switch. No cutting needed as long as you can fish the wire to switch the
location.

Kyle Boatright

"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

An option I've considered. My preference is for 3 switch box.

KB

Dan

The RotoZip solid carbide bit will work well for this application,
also works for plaster though the wood lathe will smoke a bit.

Dan

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:11 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

J T

1) Use a double switch, it takes a standard sized outlet plate cover.
Probably even get one with one switch and one timer (assuming you want a
timer for the fan) if you look hard enough. Here's a neat option:

http://www.rewci.com/fandetisw.html

Or if you decide to proceed..

2) Rotozips work fantastically well for cutting WALL tiles of the sort
typically used in a bathroom. I marvelled at the beautiful holes I created
to allow passage for plumbing pipes when tiling a bathroom in my house. Just
get a rotozip or dremel tile cutting bit, and practice on a piece of tile
first to get the feel.

However, don't even think about cutting floor tiles with one. The tile will
destroy your bit before you get 1/4 inch into it.