Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steering Rack Boot Replacement (clamp & tools)

Have you ever replaced the steering arm boot on a FWD vehicle?

I'm going to replace a Toyota steering arm boot for a friend (yes, I'm aware
a mechanic would replace the entire arm - let's not go there please) and I
have a question about the inside large steel clamp & tools.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...080-46293.html
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...008046293.html

It's a Toyota (I'm not sure the make but maybe a Camry of the early 2000s).
The friend is buying the parts at the dealer so they'll all be OEM.
45535-06030 steering boot
90080-46293 big clamp
90467-19021 small clamp

My question is about the large clamp. I don't have specialized clamp tools
and like most people, I'm leery of zip ties as are others as shown here.
https://youtu.be/m_iIkZEl6qY?t=293

I can find all sorts of specialized clamps on Amazon but I don't know
_which_ is the specialized clamp I'd need for a Toyota clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30600-O.../dp/B0080J1200
https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Cl...dp/B01GM9PLZQ/

Maybe I can make do with pliers but maybe not.
Maybe I can make do with a typical worm gear hose clamp but maybe not.
Everything (as you know) depends on the amount of room and what it may touch
as the boot itself tore for a reason (probably from bouncing against metal).
(Why these boots tear is beyond me as you'd think they'd be designed to not
touch anything while driving.)

Anyway, do you have advice as to what kind of clamp tools are needed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2021 8:29 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

I'd probably use the first one applied with large pliers or preferably
channel lock pliers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As you have been told before. ZipTie. No worries, and done. The boot has torn from fatigue. Normal.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-3122974-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2021/06/03 6:34 pm, Bob F wrote:
I'd probably use the first one applied with large pliers or preferably
channel lock pliers.

If I have to, I'll use whatever pliers or channellocks that I have.
But I'm sure there isn't much room which is the major problem I think.

I looked at a few DIY videos (but by no means all) where about half used the
plastic zip ties which I think won't hold up with cold, heat & oil around.

The other half used a metal clamp, about half of which used a typical hose
clamp worm gear type (which will hold up but which have sharp bouncy ends).

The rest used a steel clamp that came with the package but none (so far)
showed how they tightened/crimped that steel clamp but this one vide.
https://youtu.be/m_iIkZEl6qY?t=293

Notice he only needed to _pull_ tightly on the end to tighten that clamp!

For just pulling on a wire to close a hose clamp I might not need much room.
But where do I get those pull-type hose clamps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 10:34:58 -0700, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

Especially since #2 is not a fit for the specified vehicle as shown in the BIG
red box at top left.

Hi Arlen, how ya doing. Hope you are well.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:29:38 -0600, John Robertson posted for all of us to
digest...

Anyway, do you have advice as to what kind of clamp tools are needed?

Arlen, as always, the proper ones.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:29:38 -0600, John Robertson
wrote:

Have you ever replaced the steering arm boot on a FWD vehicle?

I'm going to replace a Toyota steering arm boot for a friend (yes, I'm aware
a mechanic would replace the entire arm - let's not go there please) and I
have a question about the inside large steel clamp & tools.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...080-46293.html
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...008046293.html

It's a Toyota (I'm not sure the make but maybe a Camry of the early 2000s).
The friend is buying the parts at the dealer so they'll all be OEM.
45535-06030 steering boot
90080-46293 big clamp
90467-19021 small clamp

My question is about the large clamp. I don't have specialized clamp tools
and like most people, I'm leery of zip ties as are others as shown here.

I wouldn't call those zip ties. To me, that's plastic. These are metal
clamps.

https://youtu.be/m_iIkZEl6qY?t=293

He does it without special tools and I'm sure you can too.

I've not done steering arm boots but a long time ago I had a CV joint
with a leaking boot (but no clicking yet) in a front wheel drive car,
and I bought a split boot, did my best to fill it with grease, and
clamped it with similar clamps. It lasted at least 2 or 3 years until I
got rid of the car.

(A split boot is a mess, trying to get the grease in. Maybe I'd get
better at it with practice. But the next time I bought a half-axle
which is a lot simpler and not that much money. Of course that time I'd
plowed into a curb, there were other broken parts, and I was happy to
spend the money. The first time I was just doing maintenance.

BTW, I like the link. Didn't know (but could have assumed) that you
could start a video at a certain spot. Very convenient.

I can find all sorts of specialized clamps on Amazon but I don't know
_which_ is the specialized clamp I'd need for a Toyota clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30600-O.../dp/B0080J1200
https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Cl...dp/B01GM9PLZQ/

Maybe I can make do with pliers but maybe not.
Maybe I can make do with a typical worm gear hose clamp but maybe not.
Everything (as you know) depends on the amount of room and what it may touch
as the boot itself tore for a reason (probably from bouncing against metal).

You don't say how old the car is. They wear out with time.

(Why these boots tear is beyond me as you'd think they'd be designed to not
touch anything while driving.)

Flexing alone is enough to war something out. That's why there is a
bellows and not just something shaped like a salami. But every time
the wheels turn to the side or go up or down, every pleat in the bellows
bends a little bit.

Anyway, do you have advice as to what kind of clamp tools are needed?

BTW, this is the first guy I've seen or read who kept track of how many
turns to get something off, so he could do the same number when putting
it back on. I did that with a tie rod end and it seemed good enough to
me, and that was a new part which could conceivably be a different
length (they looked the same). He's using the same metal parts so for
sure it's going to be the same. No wheel alignment needed, win-win.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you ever replaced the steering arm boot on a FWD vehicle?

I'm going to replace a Toyota steering arm boot for a friend (yes, I'm aware
a mechanic would replace the entire arm - let's not go there please) and I
have a question about the inside large steel clamp & tools.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...080-46293.html
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...008046293.html

It's a Toyota (I'm not sure the make but maybe a Camry of the early 2000s).
The friend is buying the parts at the dealer so they'll all be OEM.
45535-06030 steering boot
90080-46293 big clamp
90467-19021 small clamp

My question is about the large clamp. I don't have specialized clamp tools
and like most people, I'm leery of zip ties as are others as shown here.
https://youtu.be/m_iIkZEl6qY?t=293

I forgot to ask if you're going to have a lift, ramps, jack stands, just
a jack. either way, I think you'll have enough space.

I can find all sorts of specialized clamps on Amazon but I don't know
_which_ is the specialized clamp I'd need for a Toyota clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30600-O.../dp/B0080J1200
https://www.amazon.com/Supercrazy-Cl...dp/B01GM9PLZQ/

Maybe I can make do with pliers but maybe not.
Maybe I can make do with a typical worm gear hose clamp but maybe not.

I ignored this line too. Sorry. That was my next suggestion. How
could it not work? Pay some attention so you can put that gear part
where it won't hit anything, but it's not that tight down there. You
can tighten the worm gear with a screwdriver, an end wrench, or a socket
wrench, so you can put it at almost any angle.

Everything (as you know) depends on the amount of room and what it may touch
as the boot itself tore for a reason (probably from bouncing against metal).
(Why these boots tear is beyond me as you'd think they'd be designed to not
touch anything while driving.)

Anyway, do you have advice as to what kind of clamp tools are needed?

Interesting that the guy in the video was wearing rubber gloves. It
seems they do that in every video now. Is that to save time washing
one's hands at the end of the day? Anyhow, if it was good enoguh for
them, I thought I would too. They gave me a whole box of gloves after
my hospital stay 13 years ago, minus what they used on me, 150 gloves!
Minus less than 10, I think. Of course they didn't exactly give it to
me, I guess my insurance paid them for it. Can't they move the box to
another room and use them for someone else? Oh, I think I know.

Anyhow, I pushed on the air intake hose to see if maybe it was cracked
between pleats, the hose came off at one end, the engine died, and I
realized that was the problem all along, the reason the check engine
light was on, the reason I had a lean mixture.

It took 3.5 years but at least I fixed it myself and didn't have to ask
anyone to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:06:11 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:29:38 -0600, John Robertson posted for all of us to
digest...

Anyway, do you have advice as to what kind of clamp tools are needed?

Arlen, as always, the proper ones.

I thought it might be Arlen, but decided the odds were under 90%. I'm
not going to say why or Arlen will use the methods too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:29:41 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

If you want the right pliers, they are available, it's called an Oetiker clamp.
But you can use other pliers too. I used pliers made for similar clamps that
are used for lawn sprinkler clamps, I already had those. The only problem would
be as you already noted, ie if you don't have clearance to get the pliers on straight.
In which case the official pliers won't be of any help anyway, you'll have to find
pliers with a shape that will get to it. And if you haven't done one before, they take
a lot of force, bigger ones take more force. A worm gear hose clamp is an option
as long as there is clearance for the screw part, which there probably would be for
that application. When it's a CV joint that turns, there may not be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Very common when dealing with a tie rod, especially if the alignment was OK
and you're not planning on doing one.

I did that with a tie rod end and it seemed good enough to
me,

And that's why he's doing it too.

and that was a new part which could conceivably be a different
length (they looked the same). He's using the same metal parts so for
sure it's going to be the same. No wheel alignment needed, win-win.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 4 Jun 2021 05:46:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

BTW, this is the first guy I've seen or read who kept track of how many

I guess I haven't seen or read much on this topic at all. It wasn't
complicated enough to research before doing it.

But I just assumed that pro's would have stricter standards.

turns to get something off, so he could do the same number when putting
it back on.

Very common when dealing with a tie rod, especially if the alignment was OK
and you're not planning on doing one.

Glad to hear it. I thought pro's would say I was negligent.

I did that with a tie rod end and it seemed good enough to
me,

And that's why he's doing it too.

and that was a new part which could conceivably be a different
length (they looked the same). He's using the same metal parts so for
sure it's going to be the same. No wheel alignment needed, win-win.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 4 Jun 2021 05:41:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:29:41 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
Have you ever replaced the steering arm boot on a FWD vehicle?

I'm going to replace a Toyota steering arm boot for a friend (yes, I'm aware
a mechanic would replace the entire arm - let's not go there please) and I
have a question about the inside large steel clamp & tools.
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...080-46293.html
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_20...008046293.html

It's a Toyota (I'm not sure the make but maybe a Camry of the early 2000s).

Miss A, skip this part about repairing the car and go to the part on
marketing****.

I wish I knew exactly what car it was.

I had a 2000 Solara, which is different from a Camry inside, but I think
it's the same everywhere else. (Some places even call it a Camry Solara)
That's the one I did the half-axle on. Cetainly the outside end on the
passenger side was not crowded. And the inside end barely moves.

Now I have a 2005 Solara. I actually have to get under the car today or
within the next month, just to replace the splash shield clips. I can
do that from the front, but I'll crawl around and try to see how much
space there is for the clamps. Of course, by then you'll probably have
seen the car you're supposed to fix.

What do you all supposed happened to the clips that were there??? Do
they just break and fall out? At least 3 are missing. Several months
ago I noticed that it was rubbing on the ground for 1 or 2 seconds when
I backed down a hill. But it was cold out so I waited and when I
checked in the spring, both left and right splash shields were hanging
down (Neither had appreciable wear, since 2 seconds times 100 times is
less than 4 minutes) and both were firmly attached in front.)

Here's a video for you. I wouldn't bother you with more videos except
this one says NEVER Replace Steering Rack Boots Until Watching This! So
that means it must be important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZld-Vz-Rs
By golly he counts the number of turns too.
And he uses a plastic zip tie!! When you said you didn't trust them, I
thought you were using the term zip tie for the metal clamps, but now I
think you were referring to plastic after all, even though your urls
showed metal. I'll admit I don't think I've ever seen a plastic zip tie
come lose on anything, but who can rely on plastic for gosh sakes.

I"m not at all saying this is for your car,
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyot...df_B00FYIK23S/
but it the first review relates to your early comment: "I have two
Toyota Sienna's, and both of them the steering tie rod boot on the
passenger side (and only passenger side) seems to biologically rotted
away. I heard this is a common problem. " So I guess it doesn't have to
rub.

[...]

How about that!

https://www.kegoutlet.com/cp302-oeti...amp-sizes.html

including 30 clamps in 3 sizes.

****
And only $20, but for me that brings up another topic. A lot of things
on the web seem low-priced or at least affordable until you look at the
shipping cost. It's probably $10 on a 20 dollar tool which, unless you
*must* have it, is a big increase. And that was the genius of Amazon,
to include shipping, for the most part.

But of course you only got free shipping if you spent over a certain
amount. Now it's $25, but it was 35 for quite some time and maybe other
amounts. So you have to find more things to buy! What an incentive.
Early on I tried to find out what the shipping cost was if I was under
the minimum, and I couldn't find it. They pretty much insisted they only
sold to people who spent $35 or more.

I wonder who came up with these two ideas. Bezos?

I think they were

One more thing** that might have contributed to Amazon's success is that
when they were only selling books, they had afaict an enormous array of
books. I say that based on a couple sorts of specialty books I would
normally have found only at specialty book stores. Books I'm sure
Barnes and Noble and that other big chain whose name I forget, that
Amazon drove out of business, wouldn't have. 10 years later though, I
looked for a book like that and Amazon didn't have it either. (Maybe it
was out of print, but I thought there would still be a page for it.)

**I'm not including working their employees like dogs. I've not been
there and I've not seen any videos or even read any narratives and I
don't know how to evaluate the statements on that. AFAICT, they don't
treat their delivery drivers badly. The ones I see here go at a
reasonable pace. I havent' seen them goofing off but they don't run to
the doors either. They walk at the pace a healthy man walks.