Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no light bulb in your light fixture.

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?
Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Other than that, it seemed very nice. Uses very litle electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 3:18:46 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

No. But if it does, there are fixtures with LEDs that have frosted
glass or plastic so you can't see what's inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/21 3:18 PM, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?
Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Other than that, it seemed very nice. Uses very litle electricity.

C'mon man! It's a light emitter. Why make it look like an old-fashioned light bulb?

When transistors were invented, did they try to make them look like vacuum tubes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 May 2021 12:28:22 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 3:18:46 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

No. But if it does, there are fixtures with LEDs that have frosted
glass or plastic so you can't see what's inside.

That's a good idea. Tnx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 May 2021 15:42:49 -0400, Larry
wrote:

On 5/23/21 3:18 PM, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?
Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Other than that, it seemed very nice. Uses very litle electricity.

C'mon man! It's a light emitter. Why make it look like an old-fashioned light bulb?

Why make the "boxes" that surround the lightbulb the same size and shape
when there is no lightbulb!

When transistors were invented, did they try to make them look like vacuum tubes?

They would have if you could have seen them, but they were inside.

Why do they make veggie burgers the same shape as hamburgers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@fmguy.com says...

When transistors were invented, did they try to make them look like vacuum tubes?

They would have if you could have seen them, but they were inside.

Why do they make veggie burgers the same shape as hamburgers?

So they fit the hamburger buns.

There was a small bakery that mostly made cakes and pies. They did make
some hamburgers and hot dogs. The hamburger buns were square like those
burgers and some kind of special bread that made them so good to a young
boy.

It might have been that small piece of coconut pie they gave with the
burgers for free. That might be why I only eat that and peach and
cherry pie now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/21 3:18 PM, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?
Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Other than that, it seemed very nice. Uses very litle electricity.

C'mon man! It's a light emitter. Why make it look like an old-fashioned light bulb?

When transistors were invented, did they try to make them look like vacuum tubes?

Sure. They're designed for audiophools. Big bucks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light
that used LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of
the fixture it appears there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you
look at it that there's no light bulb in your light fixture.

Nope and there isnt in half of mine.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?

Nope, and I deliberately avoid the stupid copys
of candles, wicks, gas jets and filaments.

Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Speak for yourself, nothing hollow about mine.

Other than that, it seemed very nice.
Uses very litle electricity.

Mine too and very easy to completely automate.
I don't use switches at all anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 24 May 2021 08:04:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 May 2021 08:04:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light
that used LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of
the fixture it appears there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you
look at it that there's no light bulb in your light fixture.

Nope and there isnt in half of mine.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?

Nope, and I deliberately avoid the stupid copys
of candles, wicks, gas jets and filaments.

Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Speak for yourself, nothing hollow about mine.

Well, that was an exaggeration. It seemed to follow from "emptiness".

Other than that, it seemed very nice.
Uses very litle electricity.

Mine too and very easy to completely automate.
I don't use switches at all anymore.

Wow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 May 2021 08:04:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light
that used LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of
the fixture it appears there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you
look at it that there's no light bulb in your light fixture.

Nope and there isnt in half of mine.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?

Nope, and I deliberately avoid the stupid copys
of candles, wicks, gas jets and filaments.

Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

Speak for yourself, nothing hollow about mine.

Well, that was an exaggeration. It seemed to follow from "emptiness".

Other than that, it seemed very nice.
Uses very litle electricity.

Mine too and very easy to completely automate.
I don't use switches at all anymore.

Wow.

Yeah, its mostly done with movement sensor.

The start of the day and end of the day with google home
minis but that for extra data like the weather forecast and
time of day etc as well as the lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 3:18:46 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light that used
LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of the fixture it appears
there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you look at it that there's
no light bulb in your light fixture.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?
Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

I probably wouldn't install that sort of bulb where I could see it.

In remodeling my kitchen, I'm replacing all the light fixtures with
flat-panel LED arrays. Nothing looks like a light bulb.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 May 2021 08:04:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light
that used LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of
the fixture it appears there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you
look at it that there's no light bulb in your light fixture.

Nope and there isnt in half of mine.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?

Nope, and I deliberately avoid the stupid copys
of candles, wicks, gas jets and filaments.

BTW, for my current fixture and the two that preceded it, I made sure to
get a lightbulb that is shaped like a flame. And it was easy to find
them in 40W. 60W was hard to find but I did.

The one the builder put on the house is still in the basement, plastic
but looks fine, nothing wrong with it, but I wanted motion-activated.
The first replacement lasted a long time, but the second replacement is
not very old and it's erratic now. Sometimes it goes on, often it
doesn't. It was made by one of two makers of Home Depot fixtures, but I
didn't keep track of which one. So I guess I will avoid HomeDepot
altogether in this case. Which leaves an enormous variety of designs
online.

Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

The question mark was meant to make it a question. I don't think
anyone's life here is hollow.

Speak for yourself, nothing hollow about mine.

Other than that, it seemed very nice.
Uses very litle electricity.

Mine too and very easy to completely automate.
I don't use switches at all anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote
Rod Speed wrote
micky wrote

I was at a friend's tonight and he had a porch wall light
that used LEDs, little flat ones, so from the outside of
the fixture it appears there is no light bulb inside.

From your own pov, would it bother you when you
look at it that there's no light bulb in your light fixture.

Nope and there isnt in half of mine.

Would you miss the appearance of a lightbulb, candle, wick, gas jet?

Nope, and I deliberately avoid the stupid copys
of candles, wicks, gas jets and filaments.

BTW, for my current fixture and the two that preceded it,
I made sure to get a lightbulb that is shaped like a flame. And
it was easy to find them in 40W. 60W was hard to find but I did.

I have never seen the point in copying the appearance of
the previous lighting technology. It makes more sense to
take advantage of what the new tech can do better instead.

Yes it makes sense to be able to just screw in the
new tech in place of the previous bulb but it doesn't
make any sense to go to extra expense to have fake
candles or fake filament bulbs and stuff like that.

It makes sense to use the new tech to so unlimited length
strip lights that take no space at all under kitchen cupboards
above kitchen bench tops which produce no shadows and
can be cut to length to fit whatever area you want lighted.

Same with led panels, much better than recessed spots in many
situation, no shadows at all on what you are working on.

The one the builder put on the house is still in the basement, plastic
but looks fine, nothing wrong with it, but I wanted motion-activated.

That's another thing that's much easier with led, easy to have
the motion sensor integrated with the light. Works well in some
situations and looks much better than the previous sensors in
a cluster with 2 PAR38 bulbs, particularly for use indoors.

The first replacement lasted a long time, but the second
replacement is not very old and it's erratic now. Sometimes
it goes on, often it doesn't. It was made by one of two makers
of Home Depot fixtures, but I didn't keep track of which one.
So I guess I will avoid HomeDepot altogether in this case.
Which leaves an enormous variety of designs online.

Just emptiness, like our hollow lives?

The question mark was meant to make it a question.
I don't think anyone's life here is hollow.

Speak for yourself, nothing hollow about mine.

Other than that, it seemed very nice.
Uses very litle electricity.

Mine too and very easy to completely automate.
I don't use switches at all anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: