Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best grass?

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:57:00 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

It grows fine here in NJ, if you want it. Biggest negative aside from it
invading everywhere is that it's straw colored from Oct thru April while
cool season grasses are green and growing. So you have about 3 months
more of it dormant and looking like crap. Good cool season grasses
have some green most of the winter.

I just used some shade seed mix from Tractor Supply for the backyard.
It was highly rated and so far it's coming in nicely. They had it at a
good price. Depends on how much
shade he has too. If it's not dense shade then a good tall fescue product
would work, it's tough, used on sports fields, etc. When buying seed you
need to be careful and read the label. In recent years, the new scam is to
coat seed. That can be a good thing, but the way they charge, it's not really.
You pay for 7 lbs of a product, but only 3 lbs of it is seed and they charge as
much or more per actual pound as pure seed. I avoid it. Pure seed should
cost him $3 a pound or less, that's a good deal. Except for bluegrass. That
seed is so tiny that you get a lot more seed per pound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 18 May 2021 20:17:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That's the stuff. The path to the shed really looks like crap in the
spring not that the rest is all that great.

Thrilling story, again, senile gossip! VBG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 May 2021 08:56:01 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

Chuckle....
Not a bad idea.

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR014887
(use cut and paste to your browser if necessary)

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

Chuckle....
Not a bad idea.

It is a good idea. I generally see seeds for sale suitable for the area
you live in local stores. Also many considerations like full sun or
full shade.

I have seen zoysia here in Delaware. They usually start from sprigs but
I see seed is available. It does make a nice lawn but browns out in
winter. It is also invasive and could take over a neighbor's lawn and
they might not like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 20:09:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

But so do the driveways and roads. No thanks. I've had enough of
that for a lifetime.

Yeah, N 47 degrees keeps the undesirables out.

What wordy bigmouth you truly are, you strange, gossiping, senile "Yank"!
LOL