DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best grass? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/686696-best-grass.html)

slate_leeper[_2_] May 17th 21 10:57 PM

Best grass?

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

[email protected] May 18th 21 12:43 AM

Best grass?

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:57:00 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

[email protected] May 18th 21 01:04 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

I have a patch of Zoysia by my pool and it is the only grass that has
survived but I still get weeds in there.

[email protected] May 18th 21 01:47 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

I have a patch of Zoysia by my pool and it is the only grass that has
survived but I still get weeds in there.

Try fertilizing with 0-45-0 once every other year. Mine would get
dandelions in it but after hitting it with the triple-superphosphate
they all disappeared. The Zoysia woke up and strangled them all. It
worked for about two years between treatments (plus normal
fertilization a couple of times each year).

[email protected] May 18th 21 04:55 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

[...]

I'll give it a shot.

slate_leeper[_2_] May 18th 21 01:19 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

Wade Garrett May 18th 21 01:56 PM

Best grass?

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

trader_4 May 18th 21 02:08 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

It grows fine here in NJ, if you want it. Biggest negative aside from it
invading everywhere is that it's straw colored from Oct thru April while
cool season grasses are green and growing. So you have about 3 months
more of it dormant and looking like crap. Good cool season grasses
have some green most of the winter.

I just used some shade seed mix from Tractor Supply for the backyard.
It was highly rated and so far it's coming in nicely. They had it at a
good price. Depends on how much
shade he has too. If it's not dense shade then a good tall fescue product
would work, it's tough, used on sports fields, etc. When buying seed you
need to be careful and read the label. In recent years, the new scam is to
coat seed. That can be a good thing, but the way they charge, it's not really.
You pay for 7 lbs of a product, but only 3 lbs of it is seed and they charge as
much or more per actual pound as pure seed. I avoid it. Pure seed should
cost him $3 a pound or less, that's a good deal. Except for bluegrass. That
seed is so tiny that you get a lot more seed per pound.

rbowman May 18th 21 03:01 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

That's an advantage to living in the north. The lawn turns white in
November and stays that way.

Tekkie© May 18th 21 09:38 PM

Best grass?

On Mon, 17 May 2021 19:43:41 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

To OP: Your local Dept of Agriculture or 4H or whatever it's called can advise
you. I can tell Zoysia a mile away because in the winter it looks horrible,
IMHO

--
Tekkie

Tekkie© May 18th 21 09:40 PM

Best grass?

On Tue, 18 May 2021 08:01:38 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

That's an advantage to living in the north. The lawn turns white in
November and stays that way.

Not mine, it stays a dull green, unless you mean snow. ;(

--
Tekkie

rbowman May 19th 21 03:17 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

That's an advantage to living in the north. The lawn turns white in
November and stays that way.

Not mine, it stays a dull green, unless you mean snow. ;(

That's the stuff. The path to the shed really looks like crap in the
spring not that the rest is all that great.

Peeler[_4_] May 19th 21 09:02 AM

lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Tue, 18 May 2021 20:17:31 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

That's the stuff. The path to the shed really looks like crap in the
spring not that the rest is all that great.

Thrilling story, again, senile gossip! VBG

slate_leeper[_2_] May 19th 21 01:43 PM

Best grass?

On Tue, 18 May 2021 08:56:01 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

Chuckle....
Not a bad idea.

Frank[_24_] May 19th 21 01:56 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

On 5/17/21 5:57 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

-dan z-

Pay a visit to the biggest nursery in town, find a guy with gray hair,
ask him...

Chuckle....
Not a bad idea.

It is a good idea. I generally see seeds for sale suitable for the area
you live in local stores. Also many considerations like full sun or
full shade.

I have seen zoysia here in Delaware. They usually start from sprigs but
I see seed is available. It does make a nice lawn but browns out in
winter. It is also invasive and could take over a neighbor's lawn and
they might not like it.

[email protected] May 20th 21 10:04 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

Yes, that's typical of warm-weather grasses. They stay brown until
late in the spring. IIRC, the soil temperature has to get to 70F, or
some such. Everyone uses warm-weather grasses (mostly Bermuda) here
so everyone's yard is the same color.

[email protected] May 20th 21 10:05 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

That's an advantage to living in the north. The lawn turns white in
November and stays that way.

But so do the driveways and roads. No thanks. I've had enough of
that for a lifetime.

[email protected] May 20th 21 10:09 PM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

To OP: Your local Dept of Agriculture or 4H or whatever it's called can advise
you. I can tell Zoysia a mile away because in the winter it looks horrible,
IMHO

It looks the same as Bermuda grass, just more dense. Yes, advice from
the state's Ag Extension is a good idea. Nothing is going to take a
beating like Zoysia, though.

rbowman May 21st 21 03:09 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

For a mostly-shady but heavily traveled (by my dogs) area?
Northeastern Tennessee near the Virginia border.

Zoysia should grow there. It's in the "transition zone" but it should
go. Zoysia is dense, wear resistant, drought resistant and will take
over anything in its path. Great stuff but if you have flower beds,
they need a *good* border. If it's kept healthy, you'll never see
another weed. Keep it cut or you're going to need a sharp sickle.
It's dense stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. A neighbor down the street used that. It
grew fine, but in the winter turns brown unlike the grasses on the
other lawns.

That's an advantage to living in the north. The lawn turns white in
November and stays that way.

But so do the driveways and roads. No thanks. I've had enough of
that for a lifetime.

Yeah, N 47 degrees keeps the undesirables out.

[email protected] May 21st 21 05:04 AM

Best grass?

wrote:

[...]

You're welcome to keep your Siberia.

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 21 09:05 AM

lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Thu, 20 May 2021 20:09:22 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

But so do the driveways and roads. No thanks. I've had enough of
that for a lifetime.

Yeah, N 47 degrees keeps the undesirables out.

What wordy bigmouth you truly are, you strange, gossiping, senile "Yank"!
LOL