Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, commerical fishermen wearing masks

From C-Span, Congressional committee hearing today, 5/11

Commerical fishermen: "With the wind and the noise, these guys are used
to relying on sign language and with a mask on they really can't."

Huh? They sound like the people least inconvenienced by a mask?

She also said that wet masks were dangerous to fishermen. Why would
that be?

David Kessler, Anthony Fauci, Rochelle Walensky were testifying, but I
don't know what committee or who asked those questions. She was civil
and and didn't seem at all like an ideologue, but I still don't know why
a mask interferes with sign language. No one asked.

I found it by going to C-Span video, instead of just audio. No
sub-titles or any text on radio. "Dr. Fauci and CDC Director Walensky
Testify on Efforts to Combat COVID-19

The Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee held a
hearing on the efforts to combat COVID-19. Among those testifying before
the committee were Dr. Anthony Fauci and CDC Director Dr. Rochelle
Walensky. "

The next questioner Roger Marshall (R, Kansas) got combative with Fauci
trying to blame him for doing something Marshall thought was wrong.
Regarding nih lifts funding pause on gain-of-function research, a
common set of google search terms, something I'd never heard of, and
haven't read about yet. It might be worth reading about.

Fauci ended by saying, roughly, if you're trying to trap me into saying
that something someday we do could be used by another country, I'm not
going to play that game.

That Marshall is a Rep. implies the previous questioner was a Dem, but I
still don't understand why a mask interferes with sign language.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
From C-Span, Congressional committee hearing today, 5/11

[...]

I think they combine sign language with lip reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 May 2021 05:14:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I think they combine sign language with lip reading.

That would make sense. I sort of figured they were too far apart for
that, but it maybe not. She should have said lip reading instead of
sign language. I've tried making signs with my lips but none of them
are listed in the ASL directory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2021 05:14:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 May 2021 12:17:57 -0400, micky
wrote:

From C-Span, Congressional committee hearing today, 5/11

[...]

I accidentally heard the same hearing again and it was Lisa Murkowski,
senator from Alaska, which has a lot of fishing, and I should make clear
that I thought the rest of her comments were valuable.