Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should i flip this car

2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 17:00:16 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow

With a tranny it would be a ~ $ 6500. car
in Canada in Canuck Bucks.
.. not sure about replacing the CVT tranny -
especially if it's a common failure - the wreckers
will be sold out ..
I'd ask a good honest tranny shop about it.
Make sure the engine is OK ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2021 8:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow

Worth scrap price as is. Check for a used tranny and it should give you
a payback. As is, you may find someone willing to take on the project
and give you a few hundred.

Your biased opinion aside,there is no such thing as a mint car with
110,000 miles.

With a tranny working you can get 5-7 thou depending on model and
options. Check out the price to have it rebuilt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:10:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/13/2021 8:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow

Worth scrap price as is. Check for a used tranny and it should give you
a payback. As is, you may find someone willing to take on the project
and give you a few hundred.

Your biased opinion aside,there is no such thing as a mint car with
110,000 miles.

I will respectfully dissagree. I've seen cars in mint condition with
250,000 KM - you could put them on the showroom floor and be hard
pressed to tell it from a car that had never been sold - and not
burning ANY oil between changes - with perfect compression and oil
pressure. What high standard do you have for "mint" condition?

Does it have to excede Hagerty's #2 condition??? (Excellent not
concours) Most cars over the last 40 years aren't "concours" from the
factory or show-room floor.
With a tranny working you can get 5-7 thou depending on model and
options. Check out the price to have it rebuilt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2021 8:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow

i would probably trade it in but would be reticent to get a new Nissan
after hearing that their quality has slipped considerably in the last 10
years and major problems with their CVT. $1,000 seems cheap for a
tranny repair and may not last long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

i would probably trade it in but would be reticent to get a new Nissan
after hearing that their quality has slipped considerably in the last 10
years and major problems with their CVT. $1,000 seems cheap for a
tranny repair and may not last long.

About 3 years ago my son had a Nissan with the CVT that went out at
about 130,000 miles. Nissan would not do anything about it as it was
10,000 out of the extended warrenty that Nissan put on that transmission
after many of they went out. Cost him around $ 4000 to get it repaired.

He got rid of that junker after another year or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2021 12:32 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I bet I could go over his car and find a couple of dozen points.
Totally restored may qualify but the typical every day car in far from
mint. My brother restored cars for many years so I've seen various
conditions. The typical Joe Sixpack often descibes their car as "mint"
but it is not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/21 8:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
2011 murano 110,000
Mint in and out.
Needs tranny
1000 bucks
Daughter car not that that matters
New tires but need a 30 mile tow

Take a pass on the car, drop the $1,000 into the stock market. Leave it
there; you'll come out way ahead

--
At the rate we're going, they're going to cancel shampoo so bald
people won't be offended
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2021 10:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Read the used car adds and you will see a lot of MINT cars for sale.
Seems a lot of sellers think that means only scratches, no big dents and
tires still have visible tread.

Not just cars, the term has been used sloppily on many items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2021 10:05 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

i would probably trade it in but would be reticent to get a new Nissan
after hearing that their quality has slipped considerably in the last 10
years and major problems with their CVT. $1,000 seems cheap for a
tranny repair and may not last long.

About 3 years ago my son had a Nissan with the CVT that went out at
about 130,000 miles. Nissan would not do anything about it as it was
10,000 out of the extended warrenty that Nissan put on that transmission
after many of they went out. Cost him around $ 4000 to get it repaired.

He got rid of that junker after another year or so.

We had a Nissan Sentra ca 1990 that was a great car but traded it in
when repair value was approaching book value. Apparently quality
started going downhill when they partnered with Renault after 2000.

I had a CVT on a 2016 Subaru Forester that got totaled in 2019 replaced
with a Subaru Crosstrek with CVT. I like the CVT and get great mileage.
Hopefully some of the early problems with this type transmission have
been ironed out by now.

Google sez:

Are Jatco CVT reliable?
Nissan subsidiary Jatco supplies many of the world's automakers with CVT
transmissions. Nissan vehicles have been featuring CVTs for 15 years,
but they've demonstrated less than stellar reliability. ... CVTs. Lots
of other Nissan owners have also known the scourge, even after Jatco
took steps to improve reliability.May 23, 2018
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2021 08:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I bet I could go over his car and find a couple of dozen points. Totally
restored may qualify but the typical every day car in far from mint. My
brother restored cars for many years so I've seen various conditions.
The typical Joe Sixpack often descibes their car as "mint" but it is not.

I prefer the lived in look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 18:58:59 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I prefer the lived in look.

No, you OBVIOUSLY prefer being wordy, senile gossip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 10:23:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

How about just real nice. My silver coins are real nice too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2021 5:14 PM, Thomas wrote:
[...]

That is possible. Mint would be less than 100 miles on the OEM tires,
no measurable wear on brake pads or rotors, perfect carpeting, perfect
seats. Engine compartment with no drips, stains, dust, visible wear.

Just as your coins, if they came from the mint to you, yes. if in
circulation, no.

I do know of a '66 Mustang in mint condition. The guy bought it and
drove from the dealer to his garage and parked it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 12:34:33 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took
the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or
fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them
because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 7:16:49 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took
the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or
fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them
because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

The variable speed pulley thing goes back to the 1940s. My dad had it on a
Minneapolis Moline set up as a combine. Those became the New Idea Uni System.
One could use those as a corn picker, combine, or hay chopper.
Dad's had a normal three? speed transmission plus the variable speed. A V belt connected
two pulleys that could expand or contract. I think there was an arm connecting them so
one expanded while the other contracted keeping the belt tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread.

Since 2006 in some Nissan ; 2008 in some Mitzubishi.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2021 8:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took
the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or
fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them
because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

At the time it was touted as the future of automatics. No one else has
joined in though. Now, 6 and 8 speed trannys are normal and have good
performance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 8:43:59 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/16/2021 8:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took
the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or
fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them
because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

At the time it was touted as the future of automatics. No one else has
joined in though. Now, 6 and 8 speed trannys are normal and have good
performance.

I guess Mazda is reviving the Wankel engine. Then there is this thing.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a25938374/szorenyi-rotary-engine/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2021 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

CVT's do continue to proliferate as I believe they are cheaper to make
with less parts and give improved mileage.

I was hearing this about Toyota's that include a low gear to start:

"Toyota brands the K120 as the Direct Shift-CVT and includes a physical
first gear (also known as a "launch gear") and nine additional simulated
gears, for a total of 10. The launch gear is engaged when the car takes
off from being stopped and transitions to the belt drive once the car
picks up speed."

Gets around one concern that CVT is sluggish to start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

The you need a hearing aid, BAD.

Similar idea,

Nope and nothing even remotely like it.

but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't slip a lot.

There is no belt.

Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or fix.

More mindless bull****.

I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic?

They arent.

Seems they would be less complex to me.

But you dont have a ****ing clue about how they work.

Also I see a lot of people don't like them because they don't
behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift points.

More mindless bull****.

Good to know when looking for the next car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 01:50:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 11:51:03 AM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

From an Australian auto website:

https://carpart.com.au/blog/technical/what-is-a-cvt

"The belt-operated design of a CVT offers around 88% proficiency, although, considerably smaller than the efficiency of a manual transmission, can be balanced by lower creation cost and by empowering the motor to keep running at its most efficient speed for a scope of output speeds.

A lot of vehicle models and brands now use CVT transmission for their engines or motors, some of these car brands and models include:

Toyota: Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Mark X, Toyota Allion, Toyota Premio, and Toyota Avalon.
Subaru: Subaru Legacy, Subaru Crosstrek, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Outback and Subaru Forester.
Nissan: Nissan Sunny, Nissan Cube, Nissan Juke, Nissan X-trail, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Rogue, Nissan Murano, and Nissan Pathfinder.
Honda: Honda Fit, Honda CR-Z hybrid, Honda Accord, and Honda Civic.
Ford: Ford C-Max (hybrid).
Suzuki: S-Cross SX4, and Suzuki Kizashi.
Dodge: Dodge Caliber.
Chrysler: Pacifica hybrid.
Jeep: Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot."

The have a nice picture showing the belt too. And they must be right, because they are from
the land of kangaroos. BTW, isn't it time for you to get off the internet for at least a few
minutes and go feed them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

From an Australian auto website:

https://carpart.com.au/blog/technical/what-is-a-cvt

"The belt-operated design of a CVT offers around 88%
proficiency, although, considerably smaller than the
efficiency of a manual transmission, can be balanced
by lower creation cost and by empowering the motor
to keep running at its most efficient speed for a scope
of output speeds.

Just another steaming turd of a web site. Pity about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...smission#Types

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 05:10:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 09:43:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/16/2021 8:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread. Seems they took
the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or
fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them
because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

At the time it was touted as the future of automatics. No one else has
joined in though. Now, 6 and 8 speed trannys are normal and have good
performance.

A lot of multi-speed automatics are actuallyprogrammed CVTs - like
the Toyota Corolla S type? which acts just luke a 6 speed ? automatic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16/4/21 10:16 pm, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

They've been around a long time.

the slipping belt idea that self-propelled lawn mowers use and put it on cars.
Similar idea, but I guess the two pulleys change width so the belt doesn't
slip a lot. Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or

They are push belts. They don't pull like you might think.

fix. I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic? Seems
they would be less complex to me. Also I see a lot of people don't like them

Much higher pressures in the hydraulics is one.

because they don't behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift
points. Good to know when looking for the next car.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16/4/21 11:12 pm, wrote:

I had never heard of CVT transmissions until this thread.

Since 2006 in some Nissan ; 2008 in some Mitzubishi.
John T.

Try 1989 with the Subaru Justy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy

Or even earlier;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/4/21 1:50 am, Rod Speed wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Yes there is. It is a metal push belt.

Here, go educate yourself; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiwRUfFEc5k

Seems they are more failure prone and more costly to replace or fix.

More mindless bull****.

They are if they are Jatco.

I wonder why they are more costly than a regular automatic?

They arent.

Seems they would be less complex to me.

But you dont have a ****ing clue about how they work.

Neither do you.

Also I see a lot of people don't like them because they don't
behave like the automatics they are used to, with shift points.

More mindless bull****.

You're wrong again Rod. People do not like the rubber band effect of a
CVT. That's why manufacturers have indexed shift points now.

Good to know when looking for the next car.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

From an Australian auto website:

[...]

Rod's none too bright. ;-)

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

So nothing even remotely like what self-propelled lawn mowers use.

reams of the rest of your troll**** flushed where it belongs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

From an Australian auto website:

[...]

Are you trying to compete for the understatement of the year award??
If so you are doing pretty good!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 04:43:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

From an Australian auto website:

[...]

It must be the penchant I have for stating the obvious! LOL

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Conceptually identical Rod. Not surprised you can't see it.

FWIW, the original automotive CVT, the DAF, did use rubber pull belts.

reams of the rest of your troll**** flushed where it belongs

Ah, the standard Rod Speed troll response when he's been done like a
dinner. Who wouldn't have expected that?

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

[...]