Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why a spring for a hole saw?

I should have tried it first. The spring is not weak, so strong that it
will make it quite hard to press the hole saw to the work, let alone
through the work. I don't get it.

----------
I bought a USB charging jack designed for a car's dashboard, and
designed to fit in the same size hole as a cigarette lighter.

Many versions for sale. This one, no more expensive than the others,
came with a hole saw for 1 1/16", a size I don't have**. The hole saw
has the shank, the center drill bit, an allen wrench, the hole saw
itself, and a spring!!!

A tapered coil spring whose small diameter just fits the bit. Is that a
coincidence? What is the point of the spring? I've used a hole saw
before and didnt' feel a need for a spring. Is it to force out the hole
after it's been cut? Have you seen this before?

**Last time, I think I used a 1" hole saw and a reamer to make the hole
bigger. Now I can't find my reamer and NO ONE sells a reamer that big.
How can that be? I don't remember where I bougth the one I have, but I
think it was a yard sale or hamfest, not retail. It's metal with a
yellowish top and an unevenly applied vinyl overlay for the top. Where
can I get another one?