Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Bank of America Giving Data to Feds

Tucker Carlson was a bit wound up last night.
Bank of America culled their files to thin down
the list of possible suspects in the break in of the
riot/breakin at the Capitol.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-bank-of-america-customer-data-feds-capitol-riot
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:04:15 -0800 (PST), Dean
Hoffman wrote:

Tucker Carlson was a bit wound up last night.
Bank of America culled their files to thin down
the list of possible suspects in the break in of the
riot/breakin at the Capitol.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-bank-of-america-customer-data-feds-capitol-riot

Wow.

If you're innocent you have nothing to worry about.

Now I don't believe that but I think I remember hearing that from ????
some conservatives ???? maybe, (If not them, who used to say this?) And
now the worm** has turned.

**Who is this worm and where was he going in the first place?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tucker Carlson was a bit wound up last night.
Bank of America culled their files to thin down
the list of possible suspects in the break in of the
riot/breakin at the Capitol.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-bank-of-america-customer-data-feds-capitol-riot

Don't you think they've always done that?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 6 Feb 2021 03:28:12 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

Tucker Carlson was a bit wound up last night.
Bank of America culled their files to thin down
the list of possible suspects in the break in of the
riot/breakin at the Capitol.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-bank-of-america-customer-data-feds-capitol-riot

Don't you think they've always done that?

Cindy Hamilton

If you mean banks have cooperated, yes. If you mean exactly what's
described above, I sort of doubt it. If they had a suspect, they'd
see** where he spent his money; they'd get his credit card records. I
guess you don't have to know what cards someone has to do that. But
going in the other direction has not been worth it.

And if you have a suspect, you might check airline records for him**,
but again, going in the other direction woudl not have been productive.

**It might well require sufficent evidence to get a warrant, but here,
well maybe they had a John Doe warrant. I read the story quickly.

If there is one crime by someone you think came from out of town, it's
not worth checking out everyone who stayed in hotel or airbnb that
night.

But if you have hundreds and you know hundreds came from out of town
that makes a big difference.

And did some of them have guns? I didn't see that mentioned in stories
about the rioters, but iirc the article above says they checked gun
sales. Would that be because it was hard, even before the riots, to
carry a gun in checked baggage? I thought that was okay, but if it
wasn't, then was it possible to buy a gun in virginia with no local
address and no waiting? If so, matching that with people who flew in a
a day or two earlier, or who stayed in hotels, is a good way to find
those who brought guns to the riots.

This is about arrest warrants but I suppose there are also John Doe
search warrants. https://definitions.uslegal.com/j/john-doe-warrant/
It's about DNA, but I think such warrants existed before DNA was used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Flying with a gun is possible but not easy, particularly since 9-11
and TSA has that record.
It is also not that easy to buy a gun out of state. At least not
legally but I am sure there are plenty on the street in DC and PG
county if you don't mind one with a body on it.
As much hype as we heard, nobody that I heard about was actually
arrested at the capitol with a gun. There were some in cars but they
were not near the capitol

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but the government checking records wouldn't find those anyhow.

As much hype as we heard, nobody that I heard about was actually
arrested at the capitol with a gun. There were some in cars but they
were not near the capitol

That's the impression I got.

Maybe the gun checking was "just routine". Actually gun sales are not
like banks. IIUC government agencies are allowed to check gun sale
records anytime they want, and without a warant. Could they have been
looking for a gun sale to someone with the same last name, like he had a
brother who was willing to buy a gun and give/lend it to him. Looking
for uncommon things like that is the kind of thing you see on Law &
Order but in real life it seems like a poor use of time. OTOH, the
capitol riots were exceedingly serious and worth the extra time, even if
not much would likely be found.

OR, maybe Tucker Carlson is just having a rant.

Reread the article. It doesn't actually say guns in the article. it
says "Any purchase of weapons or at a weapons-related merchant between
1/7 and their upcoming suspected stay in D.C. area around Inauguration
Day. 4. Airline related purchases since 1/6.""

So are we talking about nun-chucks?
Weapons-related merchant. Ammunition? They brought a gun but didn't
brring ammunition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

I am not sure what kind of retention Virginia has on their background
check, separate from the federal one.
Maryland has all sorts of records if someone got one there.

[...]

If it is actually true, it sounds like a massive data dump.
Unfortunately some times too much data is worse than not enough if you
overload the system trying to digest it all. That was a huge problem
in the DDR when STASI was collecting far more data on their people
than they could ever read.
IBM did the same thing to DoJ in the LBJ anti trust suit. We sent
paper to them by the freight car load. Every office was under "records
retention" and any little scrap of paper that had any connection to
business was packed up and sent to DC. It was not sorted in any way.
We just had boxes in the store room and we threw the paper in.
I suppose an intelligence agency might be able to make something out
of the receipt from Dunkin Donuts for a staff meeting but I doubt it
helped DoJ much ;-)