Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ko-z-Aire furnace

I have a furnace from 1958 Ko-z -Aire.
Trying to find some information in regard to is there any asbestos of any kind inside of the furnace?
Cannot find too much information or even who owns the company now.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3089672-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 5:31:09 PM UTC-5, Donna wrote:
I have a furnace from 1958 Ko-z -Aire.
Trying to find some information in regard to is there any asbestos of any kind inside of the furnace?
Cannot find too much information or even who owns the company now.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-3089672-.htm

Why do you want to find out? If this is in use and you are anywhere that it gets any
significant usage, it should have been replaced a long, long time ago. Also, even
if it wasn't made with asbestos, it's possible some was added for a repair, eg
furnace cement at some point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 22:31:03 +0000, Donna posted for all of us to digest...

I have a furnace from 1958 Ko-z -Aire.
Trying to find some information in regard to is there any asbestos of any kind inside of the furnace?
Cannot find too much information or even who owns the company now.

Call the EPA they will tell you. NO just joking. Maybe get one of the test kits
and set it near the furnace. Also trader gave some valuable insight.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2021 3:09 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 22:31:03 +0000, Donna posted for all of us to digest...

I have a furnace from 1958 Ko-z -Aire.
Trying to find some information in regard to is there any asbestos of any kind inside of the furnace?
Cannot find too much information or even who owns the company now.

Call the EPA they will tell you. NO just joking. Maybe get one of the test kits
and set it near the furnace. Also trader gave some valuable insight.

Whoever is replacing it should just take it out as a unit and not expose
anything. There is a chance insulation, if any, has asbestos.

I'm assuming it is being replaced. Stupid to try and repair a very
inefficient unit when munch money can be saved with a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:08:03 -0500, Heywood posted for all of us to digest...

I'm assuming it is being replaced. Stupid to try and repair a very
inefficient unit when munch money can be saved with a new one.

The ROI has to be proved. I wouldn't replace it because it's inefficient. It's
a noble thought but say 8K could be a real hit. We don't know the OP
circumstances so... Not berating you just that's how I see it.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2021 5:02 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:08:03 -0500, Heywood posted for all of us to digest...

I'm assuming it is being replaced. Stupid to try and repair a very
inefficient unit when munch money can be saved with a new one.

The ROI has to be proved. I wouldn't replace it because it's inefficient. It's
a noble thought but say 8K could be a real hit. We don't know the OP
circumstances so... Not berating you just that's how I see it.

Mine was 7K and paid back in 6 years.

Not enough info here to draw a conclusion though. If it is a 1958 or
older house, what else, if anything, has been done?

In the past 60 years, chances are windows and doors may have been
replaced with better ones, insulation added, other energy efficient
changes. If that is the case, the old furnace is no longer suitable in
both size and efficiency.

If the OP just wants to know so he can certify the house asbestos free
for a sale then no, no ROI. The new buyer would figure that out quickly
though. Heating systems have improved considerably since '58.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 8:23:12 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Biggest factor is if the house is in FL or IL?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2021 5:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The biggest factor may be the difference between FL and IL = IF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2021 8:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

If in a warm climate better to ditch it and put in a heat pump and AC.