Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window draft

Im getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2020 12:45 PM, Rem Ram wrote:
Im getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Any idea the window manufacturer so can look at install instructions?

I've not seen such; then again I've only installed a set of new Pella
windows recently as the only window ever had that wasn't by now at least
50 years old; the house here is 100+ and solid frames; none of the
newfangled triple-pane glass tilt-in stuff there.

The Pellas are wood and tilting and all, but the outer frames are solid;
no such holes there.

I'm guessing there's an adjusting/mounting screw at the bottom of that
hole and that the unit was supplied with plug/cap to cover, but that's
hypothesis.

I'd put a plug in there w/ a windstop behind it that could extract if
need be...there's no reason for there to be a wind path.

--dpb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/20 2:29 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Was the OP possibly referring to the holes in the strips next to
the window?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2020 2:40 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/29/20 2:29 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â* Was the OP possibly referring to the holes in the strips next to
the window?

Hmmmm....maybe. I thought that was in between the glass panes, but now
I guess it isn't. That then almost makes it look like the inside pane
of the sealed double-pane is gone.

Dunno. Never saw nuttin' looked like that before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/20 12:45 PM, Rem Ram wrote:
Im getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Maybe you could just use some good sticky tape if it's the holes
in the strips next to the window panes. The tape would be pushed
off if there is a pressure buildup that shouldn't be happening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unsure the manufacturer but Im guessing there was supposed to be a cap/plug to cover that hole after install.In any event I am using rope caulk to plug over the winter months.Will try and find something more appropriate in the spring. Tks

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Op? The hole is located in the channel in which the lower pane moves up and down within...just above right upper end of lower pane.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2020 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to
avoid confusion. Never noticed the big hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rem Ram submitted this idea :
Im getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these holes
have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Just a wild guess, but it might be an access hole for attaching
whatever acts like a counterweight these days. If so, it should have
had a cover for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2020 7:13 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rem Ram submitted this idea :
Im getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Just a wild guess, but it might be an access hole for attaching whatever
acts like a counterweight these days. If so, it should have had a cover
for it.

My guess from the pic is that the latch at the top edge of the lower
window pushes a plunger into the hole to securely hold the window open
only that much, so burglars can't push it higher. But I have little
experience with modern windows. There would have been a plastic cap in
the hole originally with a depression for the plunger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:29:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

[...]

Definitely plug the hole - or just put a piece of tape over it. It is
a hole someone put there for a mounting screw. I suspect the window
was not properly installed (not adequately foamed, etc) I did work for
2 different window sales/installer companies a few decades back and
installed all my own replacement windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/20 2:29 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Taking a closer look I see 4 holes drilled through the inner glass?
Some people do that when the seal fails and the glass builds up
condensation between the panes. The row of small holes in the "spacer"
is to allow the dessicant inside the spacer to absorb any moisture in
the air between the 2 sealed panes.
Should not be any draft from that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 01:31:02 +0000, Remram
wrote:

Op? The hole is located in the channel in which the lower pane moves up and down within...just above right upper end of lower pane.

In other words the hole is in the jam, just above the lower sash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:34:45 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 12/30/2020 7:13 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rem Ram submitted this idea :
I’m getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Just a wild guess, but it might be an access hole for attaching whatever
acts like a counterweight these days. If so, it should have had a cover
for it.

My guess from the pic is that the latch at the top edge of the lower
window pushes a plunger into the hole to securely hold the window open
only that much, so burglars can't push it higher. But I have little
experience with modern windows. There would have been a plastic cap in
the hole originally with a depression for the plunger.

No plunger - that latch is for the "tilt" feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:40:07 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 12/29/20 2:29 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought. I don't remember ever seeing so many little
holes in a window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 30 Dec 2020 09:37:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 12/30/2020 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to
avoid confusion.

I'm still looking for good software to do that with.

Never noticed the big hole.

Me neither.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 30 Dec 2020 15:07:41 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:34:45 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 12/30/2020 7:13 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rem Ram submitted this idea :
I’m getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

Just a wild guess, but it might be an access hole for attaching whatever
acts like a counterweight these days. If so, it should have had a cover
for it.

My guess from the pic is that the latch at the top edge of the lower
window pushes a plunger into the hole to securely hold the window open
only that much, so burglars can't push it higher. But I have little
experience with modern windows. There would have been a plastic cap in
the hole originally with a depression for the plunger.

No plunger - that latch is for the "tilt" feature.

It could be for both. The handle on the slide is in the middle. All
the way away from the frame to tilt the window in, and all the way to
the frame to go into that hole.

And it really does look like the upper inner pane is missing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/30/2020 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to
avoid confusion.

I'm still looking for good software to do that with.

How fancy do you want to get? To note the hole just the photo software
on Windows 10 works good enough. This is my daugher-in0law's dong and
it took me about two minutes.
https://i.postimg.cc/s2HkxqYB/Inked-Charley-LI.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/30/2020 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for removal of screen..etc.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to
avoid confusion.

I'm still looking for good software to do that with.

If you're using Windows 10, (I've seen you post in that group), the old
snipping tool and the new snipping tool both work well to annotate anything
you can display on your screen, and of course the built-in Paint program
works fine. If you want to install something, you have lots of choices, but
if you only need to draw on a photo then the built in stuff works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Trust me, it's not. Like I said I've worked in that business (looks
like a Euro-Vinyl winfow - much like I have in my house but mine are
side sliders)

And it really does look like the upper inner pane is missing.

No. ot's there and looks like it has 4 holes in it in the bottom right
corner - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No kidding!

and of course the built-in Paint program
works fine.

I've tried that. I got confused, but if you say it works, I'll try
again.

If you want to install something, you have lots of choices, but
if you only need to draw on a photo then the built in stuff works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 02:01:03 +0000, Rem Ram
wrote:

Yes

That explains everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Gosh. I guess I have to try harder.

(The dog would look good with glasses, but with its coloring, not yellow
frames.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski explained :
On 12/30/2020 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 8:31:07 PM UTC-5, Remram wrote:
The hole is actually in the channel that the window slides up and down.The
latch located on the frame as u can see allows the window to tilt out for
removal of screen..etc.
-- For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Then as suggested just put a piece of tape over them. Those are some weird
windows,
I thought you were talking about the many small holes in the molding.

So did I. Always good to edit the photo with an arrow or circle to avoid
confusion. Never noticed the big hole.

Words work too, and take up less space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I’m getting a draft through these holes in my window frame. Do these
holes have a purpose? Can I cover them to stop draft?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12p9

And it really does look like the upper inner pane is missing.

No. It's there and looks like it has 4 holes in it in the bottom right
corner - - -

I agree that the upper inner pane is missing.
Wait for a nice mild day and tape some poly onto the window
with hockey-pad plastic tape.
https://tinyurl.com/y8b6q269
it won't stick well if the window frame is wintery cold
Tape over that big hole in the frame, while you're at it.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Both panes are there just hard to see in pick. All windows in my home are the same type and 6 of which are identical to this one.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rem Ram pretended :
Both panes are there just hard to see in pick. All windows in my home are the
same type and 6 of which are identical to this one.

Do they all have that thumb-sized hole in them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3084134-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:50:57 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Rem Ram pretended :
Both panes are there just hard to see in pick. All windows in my home are the
same type and 6 of which are identical to this one.

Do they all have that thumb-sized hole in them?

Do they have 4 holes in the glas? Who puts holes in glass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jan 21 00:27:07 UTC, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:50:57 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Rem Ram pretended :
Both panes are there just hard to see in pick. All windows in my home are the
same type and 6 of which are identical to this one.

Do they all have that thumb-sized hole in them?

Do they have 4 holes in the glas? Who puts holes in glass?

It's a "ghetto fix" for failed seals on the sealed unit - gets the
moisture out from between the panes to stop condensation / fogging.
Guys who know what they are doing usually put in a one way valve
thingy to let moisture/air out but restrict it getting back in
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 01 Jan 2021 01:01:47 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 21 00:27:07 UTC, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:50:57 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Rem Ram pretended :
Both panes are there just hard to see in pick. All windows in my home are the
same type and 6 of which are identical to this one.

Do they all have that thumb-sized hole in them?

Do they have 4 holes in the glas? Who puts holes in glass?

It's a "ghetto fix"

That's an obnoxious remark.

And especially here where lots of people are suggesting or using all
kinds of contrived, tossed-together repairs.

for failed seals on the sealed unit - gets the
moisture out from between the panes to stop condensation / fogging.
Guys who know what they are doing usually put in a one way valve
thingy to let moisture/air out but restrict it getting back in

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It's a "ghetto fix"

That's an obnoxious remark.

And especially here where lots of people are suggesting or using all
kinds of contrived, tossed-together repairs.

So what should people call an area where a lot of poor people
live? It's based
on an Italian word. It used to refer to Jewish areas.
This is one definition of ghetto.

"n, pl -tos or -toes
1. (Sociology) sociol a densely populated slum area of a city inhabited
by a socially and economically deprived minority
2. (Sociology) an area in a European city in which Jews were formerly
required to live
3. (Sociology) a group or class of people that is segregated in some way
[C17: from Italian, perhaps shortened from borghetto, diminutive of
borgo settlement outside a walled city; or from the Venetian ghetto the
medieval iron-founding district, largely inhabited by Jews]
Collins English Dictionary €“ Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014
© HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007,
2009, 2011, 2014"

By the way, there are a lot of improvised fixes he
https://www.jdjournal.com/2014/09/17/pics-ghetto-fixes/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

" I taught McGyver everything he knows"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A BBC show, Weird Wonders, had a good example. Elephants were
raiding
farmers' crops. Most solutions failed. Even electric fencing had mixed
results.
Keeping mice on a field was impractical.
Someone noticed that bees will scare elephants. So people mounted
bee hives
around the fields. The hives were tied to each other by a wire to
wake the bees if
an elephant touched it. Side benefits included cross pollination,
honey, and
being able to sleep at night.
https://returntonow.net/2019/07/24/beehive-fences-protect-farms-from-elephants-and-elephants-from-farmers/