Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall in cold weather, how cold is too cold ?

I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50 for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 21:56:56 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50 for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks

I am not sure expansion is the problem. The temperature thing has to
do with the mud setting right. Hang the rock and tape it in the
spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:57:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50 for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks

Plan sounds OK. But you certainly can heat a garage to 50F at the drywall too. Temp of the
studs and outside material is irrelevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:41:18 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:57:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50 for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks

Plan sounds OK. But you certainly can heat a garage to 50F at the drywall too. Temp of the
studs and outside material is irrelevant.

What about using the 'Easy Sand 20' that I see advertised, does it really set in 20 min and ready to sand ?
I could heat the garage for a couple of hours and then use this stuff, let it dry for a couple of hours and sand and turn the heat off ?
Has anyone used that stuff ? And had success ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2020 9:30 PM, Sid 03 wrote:
[...]

Though it may be set up and hard in 20 minutes , it's not DRY in that
time . It needs to be fully dry before being exposed to sub-freezing
temps . gfretwell is right , hang the drywall now and mud/tape in the
spring or summer .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to
know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less
than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50
for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the
studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow
for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish
w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks
Plan sounds OK. But you certainly can heat a garage to 50F at the
drywall too. Temp of the
studs and outside material is irrelevant.

What about using the 'Easy Sand 20' that I see advertised,Â* does it
really set in 20 min and ready to sand ?
I could heat the garage for a couple of hours and then use this stuff,
let it dry for a couple of hours and sand and turn the heat off ?
Has anyone used that stuff ?Â* And had success ?

Â* Though it may be set up and hard in 20 minutes , it's not DRY in that
time . It needs to be fully dry before being exposed to sub-freezing
temps . gfretwell is right , hang the drywall now and mud/tape in the
spring or summer .

Or, insulate it now and you will afterward be able to heat it as needed
for whatever you might need to do there, plus it won't get so hot in the
summer, plus, you will be able to heat it to cure the mud.

I love that my previously insulated garage now has a heater, allowing me
to break the chill for occasional projects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If it sets in 20 minutes, how long before before sanding ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I would visit the manufacturer's websites for any products of interest. They typically have
the information on the min conditions and times for their products to be used. Any of those
quick drying products will cost more, depending on how big that garage is, that could be a
factor. All in all, unless there is some reason not to, I would agree with those that said
to drywall it now, tape in the spring. Another advantage then is when you're sanding
you can have the doors open to let dust out, without freezing yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 19:30:59 -0800 (PST), Sid 03
wrote:

[...]

Lots of guys use "hot mud" like that. The problem is it may set up too
fast if you are doing a lot of mudding. That is usually for a little
patch unless you want to be mixing up a new batch of mud every 10
minutes. It does cure slower when it is cold and in Florida in the
summer, that 20 minutes may be more like 10-15 before it is hard to
work.