Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Drywall in cold weather, how cold is too cold ?

On 12/18/2020 8:53 PM, Snag wrote:
On 12/18/2020 9:30 PM, Sid 03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:41:18 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:57:01 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
I want to hang some drywall, but its winter here in IL and I want to
know how cold is too cold ?
Found some articles on-line and the average answer was "Not less
than 50dF", if not, heat the room some how and let it stand above 50
for at least 48 hours.
But this is a garage and no matter how much I heat the garage the
studs and out-siding materials will still ambient temp.
The 2nd suggestion was to leave 1/8" gap between the sheets to allow
for expansion in summer months.

So my plan was to insulate and drywall now and finish
w/Joint-Compound and paint in March or some month that is warmer.

Thanks
Plan sounds OK. But you certainly can heat a garage to 50F at the
drywall too. Temp of the
studs and outside material is irrelevant.

What about using the 'Easy Sand 20' that I see advertised,Â* does it
really set in 20 min and ready to sand ?
I could heat the garage for a couple of hours and then use this stuff,
let it dry for a couple of hours and sand and turn the heat off ?
Has anyone used that stuff ?Â* And had success ?

Â* Though it may be set up and hard in 20 minutes , it's not DRY in that
time . It needs to be fully dry before being exposed to sub-freezing
temps . gfretwell is right , hang the drywall now and mud/tape in the
spring or summer .

Or, insulate it now and you will afterward be able to heat it as needed
for whatever you might need to do there, plus it won't get so hot in the
summer, plus, you will be able to heat it to cure the mud.

I love that my previously insulated garage now has a heater, allowing me
to break the chill for occasional projects.