ron helmuth

Default repainting refrigerated walk-in with concrete floor

The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over
the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle traffic
areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any special prep
work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic) paint I can use
for this situation?
Dr. Hardcrab

"ron helmuth" wrote in message
om...
The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over
the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle traffic
areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any special prep
work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic) paint I can use
for this situation?

Is there an echo in here???

;-]

Check with your local health department. I'm sure they would know what an
approved paint (as far as non-toxic/food safe) would be....

ceraboy

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"ron helmuth" wrote in message
om...
The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over
the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle
traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any
special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic)
paint I can use for this situation?

Is there an echo in here???

;-]

Check with your local health department. I'm sure they would know
what an approved paint (as far as non-toxic/food safe) would be....

While I am sure there are special fool grade paints I dont get the
impression that you plan to put food into direct contact with the
painted floor. If this is the case just about any water based latex
floor paint should be fine which essentially consists of acrylic latex
polymers and titanium dioxide, neither of which are that toxic. You
will of course want to shut down the fridge, warm it up, and properly
ventilate fumes before restocking.
TURTLE

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

[...]

This is Turtle.

ceraboy , you can explain to the health inspector this when he checks your
walk-in cooler and finds not a good paint on the floor and he tells you to shut
the cooler down and take all the food product to the trash dump for it has been
contaimated with your off the wall brand of floor paint. If he runs a business
and open to the public ,You maybe walking him off into a fun time with a health
inspector. Everything that goes into a walk-in freezer or cooler has spec's by
your state health department.

TURTLE

ceraboy

TURTLE wrote:

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

[...]

Obviously it is up to the original poster to verify local state laws
and whether this is a commercial operation in which these laws would
apply. If you are aware of any specific regulations, regardless of
which state you live in, then state it otherwise you statements are
foolhardy. The term "good paint" can mean just about anything. I have
not been able to find any supplier of specific food grade FLOOR paint,
probably because most people in this country dont eat off the floor.
You either have non-toxic, water based latex floor paints or epoxy
floor paints for high traffic. I am curious as to how you know a food
inspector would instantly know that the floor is not a food based floor
paint. How many times have you seen an inspector scrape the paint of a
well painted clean floor for analysis.

default

The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has
over the course of many years of use become unpainted in the
middle traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is
there any special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind
of (nontoxic) paint I can use for this situation?

The BEST solution is poured epoxy flooring, like
http://www.hitechflooring.com/
or http://www.florock.net/

It's tougher than the concrete it goes over, seamless, chemical resistant,
stable down to cryogenic temperatures, self-leveling, non-skid, and you
can run it right up the wall with a rounded cove so that crud doesn't get
stuck in cracks in the corners.

--Goedjn

TURTLE

"ceraboy" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

[...]

I see you have never had your ass chewed up by a Health Dept. Inspector have you
? I work on Walk-in freezers and cooler and know that there is certain paints
that they will allowed and some that are not allowed.

Now Food and cases of food is put on the floor of coolers & freezers all the
time and if you did not know this. You probley don't know about what the Health
Inspector is going to look for when he looks at it. He is looking for thing that
you would not think about and the kind of paint used inside the boxes is one of
them.

I know your going to say you know better , so go ahead and paint your stuff like
you want but commercial freezers and coolers have rules to go by.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turtle is correct. Hope you checked with your local health department
Senior Member

I would check to see if what Turtle is saying is true. It seems to me that once cured, there wouldn't be any emission of chemicals from the floor paint that would affect food.

I like to think I know something about paint. The statement was made that acrylic floor paints consist of acrylic plastic resins and titanium dioxide. While all acrylic paints do contain gazillions of tiny hard spheres of a plastic called polymethyl methacrylate (otherwise known as Plexiglas), the titanium dioxide in paints is the white pigment that gives white, and pastel tint bases their white colour. You won't find titanium dioxide in "deep" or "accent" tint bases because the white titanium dioxide would prevent you from tinting such a base to a true red or blue colour. For example, the white titanium dioxide and the red pigments (typically Quinacridone red) combined would give you a pink paint instead of a red paint. Similarily, the white titanium dioxide combined with the blue pigment (typically phthalocyanine blue also called "Thalo Blue") would give you a "Powder Blue" paint instead of a true Royal blue paint.

In my humble opinion, NO latex paint, even the so called "Porch and Floor Latex Enamels" will stand up well on a floor. The harder the service the paint has to stand up to, the harder the paint you need. This is why Polyurethanes became the clear coat of choice over hardwood floors in the 1950's. The hardness of alkyd based polyurethane was much higher than that of the Carnauba Wax it replaced, and that meant that the floor stayed looking new much longer, and it was too hard to respond to polishing the way Carnuaba Wax would. Consequently, you didn't need to polish polyurethaned hardwood floors like you did with waxed hardwood floors.

If I was repainting a floor in a commercial application, I would shut down the freezers and allow the floor to warm up to room temperatures and have the old paint blasted off the concrete floor with baking soda or a more aggressive powder. Then I would apply either an epoxy floor paint or a moisture cure polyurethane floor paint.

I don't really know any big names in epoxy floor paints, but a company called Wasser is probably the biggest name in moisture cure polyurethane industrial coatings, and that would include factory and warehouse floor paints.

Moisture cure polyurethanes aren't polyurethanes at all. They're actually polyureas. But, since they compete with alkyd based polyurethanes and catalyzed water based polyurethanes in the market place, people call them "polyurethanes" just to keep things simple. A moisture cure polyurethane floor paint will stink to high heaven as it cures, but once cured shouldn't smell at all. It will give you a floor coating that's comparable to epoxy floor paints in hardness and durability.

Certainly, I'd check to see if the Health Department has any concern about the KIND of paint used in a walk in freezer, but in a commercial application like this, I think it would be better to use an industrial coating meant for factory and warehouse floors rather than a retail floor paint meant for residential applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2014 9:57 PM, wrote:
Turtle is correct. Hope you checked with your local health department

Turtle still alive? I've not seen his posts
in several years.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Moving a rising main that's under a suspended concrete floor Mitch UK diy 2 August 8th 04 01:44 PM
Repair Holes and Levelling a Concrete Floor JJC001 UK diy 6 April 29th 04 10:17 PM
Update on wood floor over concrete base Mat and Suzy Home Repair 1 March 1st 04 02:10 AM
concrete floor cuckoo flower UK diy 6 July 24th 03 08:44 PM
latex screed on concrete floor Ian Johnson UK diy 0 July 9th 03 05:32 PM