TURTLE

"ceraboy" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:

"ceraboy" wrote in message
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"ron helmuth" wrote in message
om...
The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has
over the course of many years of use become unpainted in the
middle traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is
there any special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind
of (nontoxic) paint I can use for this situation?

Is there an echo in here???

;-]

Check with your local health department. I'm sure they would know
what an approved paint (as far as non-toxic/food safe) would
be....

While I am sure there are special fool grade paints I dont get the
impression that you plan to put food into direct contact with the
painted floor. If this is the case just about any water based latex
floor paint should be fine which essentially consists of acrylic
latex polymers and titanium dioxide, neither of which are that
toxic. You will of course want to shut down the fridge, warm it
up, and properly ventilate fumes before restocking.

This is Turtle.

ceraboy , you can explain to the health inspector this when he checks
your walk-in cooler and finds not a good paint on the floor and he
tells you to shut the cooler down and take all the food product to
the trash dump for it has been contaimated with your off the wall
brand of floor paint. If he runs a business and open to the public
,You maybe walking him off into a fun time with a health inspector.
Everything that goes into a walk-in freezer or cooler has spec's by
your state health department.

TURTLE

Obviously it is up to the original poster to verify local state laws
and whether this is a commercial operation in which these laws would
apply. If you are aware of any specific regulations, regardless of
which state you live in, then state it otherwise you statements are
foolhardy. The term "good paint" can mean just about anything. I have
not been able to find any supplier of specific food grade FLOOR paint,
probably because most people in this country dont eat off the floor.
You either have non-toxic, water based latex floor paints or epoxy
floor paints for high traffic. I am curious as to how you know a food
inspector would instantly know that the floor is not a food based floor
paint. How many times have you seen an inspector scrape the paint of a
well painted clean floor for analysis.

This is Turtle.

I see you have never had your ass chewed up by a Health Dept. Inspector have you
? I work on Walk-in freezers and cooler and know that there is certain paints
that they will allowed and some that are not allowed.

Now Food and cases of food is put on the floor of coolers & freezers all the
time and if you did not know this. You probley don't know about what the Health
Inspector is going to look for when he looks at it. He is looking for thing that
you would not think about and the kind of paint used inside the boxes is one of
them.

I know your going to say you know better , so go ahead and paint your stuff like
you want but commercial freezers and coolers have rules to go by.

TURTLE