Posted to alt.comp.software.newsreaders,alt.home.repair

Default Using stunnel

I use Microplanet Gravity and it posts to groups fine. But emailing is a
problem. Pouring over the docs it seems that I need to run stunnel or OpenSSL
for it to connect through to the mail server. Can anyone guide me through this?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 15:06:16 -0500, Tekkie©
wrote:

I use Microplanet Gravity and it posts to groups fine. But emailing is a
problem. Pouring over the docs it seems that I need to run stunnel or OpenSSL
for it to connect through to the mail server. Can anyone guide me through this?

Sorry - can't help with your software - just wonder if you have
compelling reason to stick with it ? I've used Forte Agent
& Free Agent since forever and never had any problems.
albeit for usenet only not for email.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I use Microplanet Gravity and it posts to groups fine. But emailing is a
problem. Pouring over the docs it seems that I need to run stunnel or OpenSSL
for it to connect through to the mail server. Can anyone guide me through this?

Isn't there a newer version of Gravity that knows how to use TLS or SSL?
Probably not or you woudn't have asked this very question.

I don't use Microplanet, and I don't use Agent for receiving mail, so I
don't know what its setup pages look like, but generally To use stunnel,
first download and install it. Unless maybe you can say no, it will
make itself a service that will run when windows starts. Uses next to
no resources so no problem. (If somehow it's not a service, you can
put a link to it in the windows startup directory, or you can even start
it by hand by clicking on its icon, a black circle with a grey circle
inside sitting on the floor, with a white circle inside that.)

In the Micro settings you want to replace the name of the smtp server
with 127.0.0.1 , which means, Look within this computer, not elsewhere.

Then in the stunnel configuration file, stunnel.conf , there is already
asection set up for gmail. Are you using gmail? If not, copy that
section and change what you need.

A typical pair of secdtions is
[pop3]
client=yes
delay=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:110
connect = pop.verizon.net:995

[smtp]
client=yes
delay=yes
protocol = smtp
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.verizon.net:465

The client and delay lines were not there 20 years ago, and might not be
needed for every server, but keep them.

The accept lines connect stunnel to Microplanet, which if has never been
set up for encryption fetches mail on port 110 and sends on port 25.
If there is a place in MicroG to say whether to use TLS etc. change it
to none or never, but there probably won't be or you woudn't need
stunnel. Encryption is handled by stunnel, not by MicroG.

Stunnel changes those ports to the ones in the connect lines, and the
connect lines connect stunnel to the servers. You put the server name
you had been using in Micro, followed by a colon, followed the port
number that Micro wants now, probably 995 for fetching, and either 587
(the submission port) or 465, (the usual port)

If you're not sure, you can look in whatever you are using for other
email. Thunderbird, for example, will look at the server names you
provide and look in some charge some where and it comes back with 465 or
587. Use the same number.

(I'm not saying the settings above will work for verizon. I simplified
the numbers.)

In a file like that, lines starting with semicolons are comments.

You can edit the conf file directly, or since stunnel can run without
being set up correctly, when it's running, you can right click on the
stunnel icon in the systray, and choose edit configuration. After you
make changes, for them to take effect, you have to right click again and
choose Reload Configuration. You don't have to close the edit window
when you do this.

If this is not enough, post back.

Sorry - can't help with your software - just wonder if you have
compelling reason to stick with it ? I've used Forte Agent
& Free Agent since forever and never had any problems.

The first common versions of Agent,v0.99 and 1.93, requires stunnel to
send or receive email with most email servers. I'm not sure what verions
added encryption.

albeit for usenet only not for email.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 17 Nov 2020 20:43:25 -0500, micky
wrote:

Stunnel changes those ports to the ones in the connect lines, and the
connect lines connect stunnel to the servers. You put the server name
you had been using in Micro, followed by a colon, followed the port
number that Micro wants now,

That the server wants now.

probably 995 for fetching, and either 587
(the submission port) or 465, (the usual port)

If you're not sure, you can look in whatever you are using for other
email. Thunderbird, for example, will look at the server names you
provide and look in some charge

In some list.

some where and it comes back with 465 or
587. Use the same number.

(I'm not saying the settings above will work for verizon. I simplified
the numbers.)

In a file like that, lines starting with semicolons are comments.

You can edit the conf file directly, or since stunnel can run without
being set up correctly, when it's running, you can right click on the
stunnel icon in the systray, and choose edit configuration. After you
make changes, for them to take effect, you have to right click again and
choose Reload Configuration. You don't have to close the edit window
when you do this.

And you don't have to close stunnel or anything else if you use Reload.

If this is not enough, post back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 20:43:25 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Micky, I'll be posting back I'm sure. Very detail instructions. I just
like Microplanet Gravity so much. Give me some time and I will let you know.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well Micky here is my config file It sits there for a minute or so then
craps out. Man, I haven't thought so hard in a long time. I am giving up for
today. I changed your original verizon one to comcast but it came back with
an error that it was too open & available to hacks. Also how do I kill it
other than task manager. I also don't know how to change the conf file it
uses.

[smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.comcast.net:465
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = smtp.comcast.net
OCSPaia = yes

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2020 03:08 PM, Tekkie wrote:
Well Micky here is my config file It sits there for a minute or so then
craps out. Man, I haven't thought so hard in a long time. I am giving up for
today. I changed your original verizon one to comcast but it came back with
an error that it was too open & available to hacks. Also how do I kill it
other than task manager. I also don't know how to change the conf file it
uses.

[smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.comcast.net:465
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = smtp.comcast.net
OCSPaia = yes

elnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Trying 2001:558:fe16:1b::16...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net ESMTP
server ready
ehlo
501 EHLO requires valid address

I don't know if it helps but 587 is the common port for TLS SMTP
servers. If I telnet to 465 I don't get a response. If I had a valid
address EHLO would present the banner of capabilities including STARTTLS
to negotiate an encrypted session.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 18:43:01 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

elnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Trying 2001:558:fe16:1b::16...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net ESMTP
server ready
ehlo
501 EHLO requires valid address

I don't know if it helps but 587 is the common port for TLS SMTP
servers. If I telnet to 465 I don't get a response. If I had a valid
address EHLO would present the banner of capabilities including STARTTLS
to negotiate an encrypted session.

IOW, you don't use Stunnel, you don't know how it works, but you still keep
smartassing, as usual, senile Trumptard! Yep, you ARE a bigmouth like your
leader! LOL