Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, sort of: Printer toner

I got four new Office World toner carts from Amazon for my HL-2240 Brother
printer for $32.39 yesterday! I can't understand how they can sell them so
cheaply. Hope they work! Haven't needed one yet. Toner light on but it
still is prnting OK.

Anyone tried these or other inexpensive carts?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Oct 2020 17:38:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

I got four new Office World toner carts from Amazon for my HL-2240 Brother
printer for $32.39 yesterday! I can't understand how they can sell them so
cheaply. Hope they work! Haven't needed one yet. Toner light on but it
still is prnting OK.
Anyone tried these or other inexpensive carts?
TIA

My local computer store carries Ican as their off-brand toner -
- the ones for my Brother HL-3140CW printer are about 1/3
the cost of the Brother branded - and seem to work fine.
I don't print very much and nothing too demanding - but
I sure like this colour laser option over the previous ink-jet
printers.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a huge Canon laser printer I bought cheap at a thrift shop. The OEM cartridge was about $90, the no name about $20 on Amazon, so I took a chance; it works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:11:17 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 18:27:58 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 14:23:01 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/17/2020 12:17 PM, wrote:
On 17 Oct 2020 17:38:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

I got four new Office World toner carts from Amazon for my HL-2240 Brother
printer for $32.39 yesterday! I can't understand how they can sell them so
cheaply. Hope they work! Haven't needed one yet. Toner light on but it
still is prnting OK.
Anyone tried these or other inexpensive carts?
TIA

My local computer store carries Ican as their off-brand toner -
- the ones for my Brother HL-3140CW printer are about 1/3
the cost of the Brother branded - and seem to work fine.
I don't print very much and nothing too demanding - but
I sure like this colour laser option over the previous ink-jet
printers.
John T.

I use the printer about twice a year and the cheap Lexmark ink jets
never worked. Sometimes I could fix it by cleaning the heads with
ammonia. Finally I saw a Samsung color laser on sale for $100 and
snapped it up. That was probably 10 years ago and it works when I need
it. I've never replaced the toner cartridges although I need to figure
out how to clean the drum since it ghosts the previous page.

Sounds more like a transfer corona problem but a good cleaning should
fix it

Be very careful when transfering the corona. It has about a 1% fatality
rate.

I am not sure I like the tone(r) of your sarcasm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2020 8:14 PM, TimR wrote:
I have a huge Canon laser printer I bought cheap at a thrift shop. The OEM cartridge was about $90, the no name about $20 on Amazon, so I took a chance; it works fine.

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then
they redesigned them to make it difficult. Then I bought re-inked but
HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working. PITA
and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then
they redesigned them to make it difficult. Then I bought re-inked but
HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working. PITA
and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.

HP did several things to the ink cartridges to keep them from working.
I am thinking they even put some kind of date code chip in them so if so
old even if full of ink they would not work.

I gave up on them years ago. As I do not do much printing and it is all
with black ink, I switched to the laser printer . Those toner cartrages
do not seem to go bad when old. The one I have prints fast and will do
both sides of the paper automatically. Had it for a good number of
years and it only cost a little more than the ink printers.

I will probably buy a color laser if this one craps out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2020 7:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then
they redesigned them to make it difficult. Then I bought re-inked but
HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working. PITA
and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.

HP did several things to the ink cartridges to keep them from working.
I am thinking they even put some kind of date code chip in them so if so
old even if full of ink they would not work.

I gave up on them years ago. As I do not do much printing and it is all
with black ink, I switched to the laser printer . Those toner cartrages
do not seem to go bad when old. The one I have prints fast and will do
both sides of the paper automatically. Had it for a good number of
years and it only cost a little more than the ink printers.

I will probably buy a color laser if this one craps out.

I do little printing myself but between the wife and I have 4 HP
printers. She does a lot of printing. I need color now and then.

I have heard of the Epson Ecotank printers that maybe cost at least 2X
as much as the HP's but come with enough ink for 3 years and are cheap
to refill.

I mentioned before that HP is like the old Eastman Kodak. I met a
couple of film researchers from Eastman that told me they made nothing
off their cameras but raked in the cash on film sales.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Oct 2020 19:36:31 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , "frank says...

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then
they redesigned them to make it difficult. Then I bought re-inked but
HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working. PITA
and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.

HP did several things to the ink cartridges to keep them from working.
I am thinking they even put some kind of date code chip in them so if so
old even if full of ink they would not work.

I gave up on them years ago. As I do not do much printing and it is all
with black ink, I switched to the laser printer . Those toner cartrages
do not seem to go bad when old.

I've heard that too. I've heard that it may be necessary after a long
time to take one out and turn it upside down or roll it around because
the toner gets stuck together someone.

Since I'm herar, I have a Brother inkjat printer and a different brand t
oo and I"ve been buying cheap amazon cartidges that work fine. I'd
heard they were all chpped but maybe I misunderstood.

The one I have prints fast and will do
both sides of the paper automatically. Had it for a good number of
years and it only cost a little more than the ink printers.

I will probably buy a color laser if this one craps out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/20 7:55 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/19/2020 7:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then
they redesigned them to make it difficult.Â* Then I bought re-inked but
HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working.Â* PITA
and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.

HP did several things to the ink cartridges to keep them from working.
I am thinking they even put some kind of date code chip in them so if so
old even if full of ink they would not work.

I gave up on them years ago.Â* As I do not do much printing and it is all
with black ink, I switched to the laser printer .Â* Those toner cartrages
do not seem to go bad when old. The one I have prints fast and will do
both sides of the paper automatically.Â* Had it for a good number of
years and it only cost a little more than the ink printers.

I will probably buy a color laser if this one craps out.

I do little printing myself but between the wife and I have 4 HP
printers.Â* She does a lot of printing.Â* I need color now and then.

I have heard of the Epson Ecotank printers that maybe cost at least 2X
as much as the HP's but come with enough ink for 3 years and are cheap
to refill.

I mentioned before that HP is like the old Eastman Kodak.Â* I met a
couple of film researchers from Eastman that told me they made nothing
off their cameras but raked in the cash on film sales.

Same as the old Gillette safety razor strategy-- just about give away
the razors, then hammer you on the blades. That worked fine until other
companies starting making blades and under-pricing the Gillettes.

Then of course there's Microsoft's including Internet Explorer in
Windows which drove a stake into Netscape Navigator and their aggressive
bundling of Word,largely killing off WordPerfect- a much superior word
processor at the time....

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you need black and white I think the laser printer is the way to go. They're reasonable cost and the toner cartridges seem to last forever in home use.

If you need color you're at the mercy of the ink jet. Once the kids were out of school and didn't need color for projects I went B&W only. Every couple years I need color and I take a thumb drive to Staples or Office Max. Probably could email it to Walmart too, I haven't tried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 08:22:42 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

If you need black and white I think the laser printer is the way to go.
They're reasonable cost and the toner cartridges seem to last forever in home use.
If you need color you're at the mercy of the ink jet.
Once the kids were out of school and didn't need color for projects I went B&W only.
Every couple years I need color and I take a thumb drive to Staples or Office Max.
Probably could email it to Walmart too, I haven't tried.

After ~ 3 years, I still have the original colour toner cartridges
in my Brother. Replaced the black once, at ~ $ 25.
note - zero photo printing - just the occasional map or advert or
sketch in colour. All else is black usually in toner-saving mode.
My ink-jet usage was about 1 black & 1 tri colour per year -
about $ 100. even with re-furbs !
so I think I'm ahead using colour laser.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2020 09:22 AM, TimR wrote:
If you need black and white I think the laser printer is the way to go. They're reasonable cost and the toner cartridges seem to last forever in home use.

If you need color you're at the mercy of the ink jet. Once the kids were out of school and didn't need color for projects I went B&W only. Every couple years I need color and I take a thumb drive to Staples or Office Max. Probably could email it to Walmart too, I haven't tried.

My color laser printer does as good a job as an inkjet. I believe the
colors don'''t run if the paper gets wet either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2020 9:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/22/2020 09:22 AM, TimR wrote:
If you need black and white I think the laser printer is the way to
go.Â* They're reasonable cost and the toner cartridges seem to last
forever in home use.

If you need color you're at the mercy of the ink jet.Â* Once the kids
were out of school and didn't need color for projects I went B&W
only.Â* Every couple years I need color and I take a thumb drive to
Staples or Office Max.Â* Probably could email it to Walmart too, I
haven't tried.

My color laser printer does as good a job as an inkjet. I believe the
colors don'''t run if the paper gets wet either.

I have an HP laser but have not even unpacked it since we moved 2 years
ago. I have an HP inkjet too. No cables as it is on wifi, crisp
printing, does both sides of the paper, makes copies, can scan to pdf or
jpg files. I can even email a print job to it. Prints a decent photo too.

I'll probably end up giving away the laser printer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 19:51:48 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

My color laser printer does as good a job as an inkjet. I believe the
colors don'''t run if the paper gets wet either.

Just shove your color laser printer up your senile arse, senile gossip!