Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A boob on the Beeb.

"Fony Tauci" wrote in message
On 10/16/20 11:54 PM, %% wrote:

"Neill Massello" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

Depending on who you believe, a vaccine may not be effective on this
virus. It all gets back to that immunity question.

If vaccines don't prove out, the best approach may be masks: reduce
the viral load received by those who do get infected, so that they can
develop immunity while going through a milder form of the illness.

There isnt any evidence that the viral load makes any difference to the
outcome.

The virus replicates in the body.

So unless a mask filters out *all* the virus particles, it's use won't
make any difference to the outcome?

Wrong. It may well be that the body's immune
system can deal with the lower virus levels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 6:19:21 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 1:07:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 07:08:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 7:31:59 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/15/20 11:11 PM, micky wrote:

snip
Yep. It remains to be seen. I won't be the first in line for a vaccine.
Then again, I don't mind wearing a mask, although when the weather
turns cold it'll make my glasses fog up.

Cindy Hamilton

A little practical advise: Wash your glasses with soapy (not
detergent) water and let them air dry. It results in an invisible film
that prevents the fogging.

I can't let them air dry. I need them to see.

You can if you have more than one pair.

But it doesnt work very well with plastic lenses
that are what almost all spectacles have now.

Sometimes I put them
on in the middle of the night when I get up to pee in the same bathroom
I've been using for 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message

wrote:
On 10/15/20 11:11 PM, micky wrote:
snip
Yep. It remains to be seen. I won't be the first in line for a
vaccine.
Then again, I don't mind wearing a mask, although when the weather
turns cold it'll make my glasses fog up.

Cindy Hamilton
A little practical advise: Wash your glasses with soapy (not
detergent) water and let them air dry. It results in an invisible film
that prevents the fogging.

I can't let them air dry. I need them to see. Sometimes I put them
on in the middle of the night when I get up to pee in the same bathroom
I've been using for 20 years.

You don't have to do it every single time you put them on, and you don't
need to wear your mask to go to the bathroom.

Thanks. I still cannot let them air dry.

Corse you can if you wet them just before going to bed.

Don't they waterspot something fierce?

Nowpe, the moisture from your breath stays in a thin film

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 07:18:03 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

The idea is to have a very thin film of soap left on the lens. It keep
condensed water on the lens from forming tiny droplets, which form the
fog on the lens. Instead, the water forms a very thin film which doesn't
block vision so much and evaporates quickly. The same principle probably
prevents the water spots. You can also just rub wet fingertips on a bar
of soap and rub the soap paste on the lens, then wipe it off with cloth
or tissue until the lens is clear. You just want to leave an invisible
film of the soap on the lens.

There are also anti-fog products available commercially.

I used to use one of those anti-fog products, from a little plastic
bottle. Now I guess it was just soapy water. I'm glad I didn't pay for
it, got it free somewhere iirc.

But I don't have the fog problem, even when wearing an n95 mask and my
reading glasses. Maybe my mask doesn't leak at the top. It's somewhat
stiff and has the metal nose band inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 7:31:59 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/15/20 11:11 PM, micky wrote:
snip
Yep. It remains to be seen. I won't be the first in line for a vaccine.
Then again, I don't mind wearing a mask, although when the weather
turns cold it'll make my glasses fog up.

Cindy Hamilton
A little practical advise: Wash your glasses with soapy (not
detergent) water and let them air dry. It results in an invisible film
that prevents the fogging.

I can't let them air dry. I need them to see. Sometimes I put them
on in the middle of the night when I get up to pee in the same bathroom
I've been using for 20 years.

You don't have to do it every single time you put them on, and you don't
need to wear your mask to go to the bathroom.

Thanks. I still cannot let them air dry. Don't they waterspot something fierce?

Cindy Hamilton

the soap sheets the water - no spots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

N95's are "respirators". They are supposed to seal to the face very
well. The next level, the KN95's do not, although they are better than
the "surgical masks".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some ads for KN95 refer to FDA registration, but for pollen etc. Does
that mean there is registration for viruses but they didnt' manage to
get it, or does it mean that no mask is certifed by the FDA for viruses?

One page promoting one brand said that because they had ear loops, they
couldn't get N95 certification. Is that right?

I'm okay because I have two mask and rarely go anywhere, but I have a
good friend who's been a census door knocker, and although she's very
competent, some times she seems to have holes in her behaviour, like she
still didn't get a vaccine for shingles even though she's had shingles
and it was terrible. So I was going to by her some but I got stymied
by the two questions above. So I laid it on her and she didn't do
anything. And now the census is over, although I think Biden should
start it up again, not on Jan. 21, but Feb 1 seems about right, and they
should run the doorknocking in total as long as they usually do, or
longer.

Even the end of Octorber wouldn't have been near as much time as normal
years, right? They keep sayign it's finishing early but that's early
compared to plans for this year made after the virus. What was the plan
before there was a virus?

For one thing though they didn't cancel it until the 16th, the did
cancel it and uncancel it earlier and she tells me that she was not
getting many addresses to do since Sept 25 or earlier, some days she had
no work and 6 addresses when she used to get 30**. and most of them
were getting no work the last week or 2 or 3, She got work because she
was better at the job iiuc.

**Spread out over 2 counties so it took all day. She would work until
dark and in apartment buildings even after dark.

I also read separately that they changed the rules to let doorknocks as
neightors if the residents weren't home or wouldn't anser the door. I
think they had long allowed that but only the 2nd or 3rd visit, and they
changed it to the first visit. Or something like that but I know they
loosened standards because trump was shorting them on time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sort of like RainX, for auto winshields.

I used that a couple times but found you have to keep reapplying every
few months. It's not worth it. But if it will solve Cindy's glasses
problem, I'll send her the rest of the bottle. BTW, who is Angelica.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky presented the following explanation :
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 20:59:29 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

[...]

N95's are "respirators". They are supposed to seal to the face very
well. The next level, the KN95's do not, although they are better than
the "surgical masks".

Some ads for KN95 refer to FDA registration, but for pollen etc. Does
that mean there is registration for viruses but they didnt' manage to
get it, or does it mean that no mask is certifed by the FDA for viruses?

Some information he

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...nd-kn95-masks/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 18 Oct 2020 04:07:22 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

micky presented the following explanation :
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 20:59:29 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

[...]

N95's are "respirators". They are supposed to seal to the face very
well. The next level, the KN95's do not, although they are better than
the "surgical masks".

Some ads for KN95 refer to FDA registration, but for pollen etc. Does
that mean there is registration for viruses but they didnt' manage to
get it, or does it mean that no mask is certifed by the FDA for viruses?

Some information he

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...nd-kn95-masks/

I read that or maybe something else by him. I didn't think it answered
my questions, but I'll read it again.

The author has a long relationship with China, lived there for about 3
years, and I'm also afraid he's biased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky used his or her keyboard to write :
wrote:

micky presented the following explanation :
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 20:59:29 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

[...]

N95's are "respirators". They are supposed to seal to the face very
well. The next level, the KN95's do not, although they are better than
the "surgical masks".

Some ads for KN95 refer to FDA registration, but for pollen etc. Does
that mean there is registration for viruses but they didnt' manage to
get it, or does it mean that no mask is certifed by the FDA for viruses?

Some information he

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...nd-kn95-masks/

I read that or maybe something else by him. I didn't think it answered
my questions, but I'll read it again.

The author has a long relationship with China, lived there for about 3
years, and I'm also afraid he's biased.

Ha ha. Maybe here then?

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...healthcare.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Anti-fog only goes so far when the temperature is below freezing. My
glasses always fog up in the winter when I enter a building.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Angelica Paganelli was the name I used when I was in the Society for Creative
Anachronism.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-...ainx-anti-fog/

I think RainX and anti fog operate on opposite principals. Rainx makes
it rain bead up, antifog makes condensation spread thinly.

I used that a couple times but found you have to keep reapplying every
few months. It's not worth it. But if it will solve Cindy's glasses
problem, I'll send her the rest of the bottle. BTW, who is Angelica.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Also, I tried rainX once, but gave up on it when I started getting hard
to remove black smears on the glass, like it was dissolving the rubber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't worry. With global warming, there won't be any freezing
temperatures in Michigan soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That certainly is the opposite.

I didn't have any black stains but maybe I gave up on it before you did.

(Im' sure my car was at least 8 years old. That's when the rubber on
the toilet flapper starts to have a black inky layer on it, but maybe
that's irrelevant.)

I used that a couple times but found you have to keep reapplying every
few months. It's not worth it. But if it will solve Cindy's glasses
problem, I'll send her the rest of the bottle. BTW, who is Angelica.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My masks have the metal band on the outside. Is yours inside out?