Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cool electrical tool.

Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2020 11:10 PM, wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

Would have been very hand over the years for many different circumstances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:17:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/14/2020 11:10 PM, wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

Would have been very hand over the years for many different circumstances.

I have no use for it, but I sure want one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 11:10:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 06:13 AM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 11:10:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Capacitive coupling to the changing AC fields. Note that it is a tester,
not a meter. It will tell you AC is present; and may give you a rough
estimate of the voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 07:54:09 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/15/2020 06:13 AM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 11:10:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Capacitive coupling to the changing AC fields. Note that it is a tester,
not a meter. It will tell you AC is present; and may give you a rough
estimate of the voltage.

It might be as accurate as a $5 Harbor Fright meter. I have one
coming, I will let you know. I do have a variac that I can diddle the
voltage from 0~250 and compare the reading to my Fluke meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Hall effect sensor for the AC voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Hall effect sensor for the AC voltage.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/artic...oltage-sensors

https://theorycircuit.com/non-contac...ector-circuit/

That's one way to to it. Other designs use a FET on the front end or an
op amp. Some add a 555 to get blinking lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message

wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Hall effect sensor for the AC voltage.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/artic...oltage-sensors

https://theorycircuit.com/non-contac...ector-circuit/

That's one way to to it. Other designs use a FET on the front end or an op
amp. Some add a 555 to get blinking lights.

Thats no good for a voltage reading rather than just voltage present.

Its not clear if that thing actually shows voltage values or just the
temperature values.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 09:33 PM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message

wrote:
Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LSSD94?ref_=pfb_4g42mgjkd79227jheh2h2cm08cdh&t ag=fbcmapdsc-20&ascsubtag=pfb-P11-V01-O3-cjxk4o-S1YMNF

https://tinyurl.com/y33teyqs

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR
thermometer.
$40

How is that possible?

Hall effect sensor for the AC voltage.

https://www.ecmweb.com/content/artic...oltage-sensors

https://theorycircuit.com/non-contac...ector-circuit/

That's one way to to it. Other designs use a FET on the front end or
an op amp. Some add a 555 to get blinking lights.

Thats no good for a voltage reading rather than just voltage present.

Its not clear if that thing actually shows voltage values or just the
temperature values.

The one the OP linked has a flashing red and blue LEDs to give a rough
indication.

https://vkperfect.com/best-voltage-pen-testers/

Some of them light up for any AC voltage in their operating range,
others try for a rough estimate. They're not DVMs by any stretch, just a
quick and dirty indication of a hot wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 23:17:13 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/15/2020 09:33 PM, %% wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

It turns out that is all this is. It does not really try to indicate
voltage beyond 12v vs 120v. There is a different indication for low
voltage than line voltage but beyond that it is just a tick tracer.
Not as cool as I hoped.