Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old maytag, bad timer, convert to manual, usual dumb idea?

I bought a Maytag toploader in 1990, an A484. Today it stopped advancing from cycles.

We have an excellent repair shop in town but they said there are no parts available and they declined to work on it. I finished the load moving the dial by hand.

They don't make machines that last 30 years anymore. Well, I guess you can still get the Speedqueen commercial model for about $1000, but I don't have 30 years left in me.

So, has anybody done a workaround, conversion to manual? From the service manual it looks like there are 10 sets of contacts that close in the timer. Light switches are less than a dollar each, a little more for 3 ways. The functions are just fill, drain, wash, spin, how hard can it be? I looked at some youtube videos but they weren't really helpful. They wire directly to the motors rather than reusing the timer wires. Toggle switches would be more elegant but now we're talking $4 per switch. -

This would be really manual. Flip the right switches for fill and wash, in 10 minutes change to drain, 3 minutes to spin, etc.

The elegant way would be a Raspberry Pi or similar but then we need relays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/20 1:14 PM, TimR wrote:
[...]

A quick search said the part wasn't available from one source.
The source suggested
putting the part number into a search engine. I tried and came up with
Whirlpool parts.
https://www.amazon.com/maytag-washer-timer/s?k=maytag+washer+timer
Suppose the motor is bad. What else would the motor be used for?
Dishwashers? Can you see the numbers on the motor? I'm out of ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 2:34:01 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/12/20 1:14 PM, TimR wrote:
[...]

I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQJsLOEFf4

and now I understand what the youtube conversion videos are about (though they are not in English and I can't follow them). Third world countries do amazing work repairing cast off US machines when they can't get electronic control boards. Apparently the 6 wire wind up timer is available for about $3 and used to control the motor directly.

It's possible any washer timer could be used with jumpers to connect to the harness. They must all do about the same thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:14:17 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I bought a Maytag toploader in 1990, an A484. Today it stopped advancing from cycles.
We have an excellent repair shop in town but they said there are no parts available
and they declined to work on it. I finished the load moving the dial by hand.
They don't make machines that last 30 years anymore.
Well, I guess you can still get the Speedqueen commercial model for about $1000,
but I don't have 30 years left in me.
So, has anybody done a workaround, conversion to manual?
From the service manual it looks like there are 10 sets of contacts that close in the timer.
Light switches are less than a dollar each, a little more for 3 ways.
The functions are just fill, drain, wash, spin, how hard can it be?
I looked at some youtube videos but they weren't really helpful.
They wire directly to the motors rather than reusing the timer wires.
Toggle switches would be more elegant but now we're talking $4 per switch. -
This would be really manual. Flip the right switches for fill and wash,
in 10 minutes change to drain, 3 minutes to spin, etc.
The elegant way would be a Raspberry Pi or similar but then we need relays.

I thought .. hard to believe that the timer / timer motor
are not available ? .. then I checked a couple web sites :
1. phone for availability
2. $ 175. !

https://www.reliableparts.ca/lookup/16414/89904#diagram

https://tinyurl.com/yyzotrhk

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/20 1:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/12/20 1:14 PM, TimR wrote:
I bought a Maytag toploader in 1990, an A484.Â* Today it stopped
advancing from cycles.

We have an excellent repair shop in town but they said there are no
parts available and they declined to work on it.Â* I finished the load
moving the dial by hand.

They don't make machines that last 30 years anymore.Â* Well, I guess
you can still get the Speedqueen commercial model for about $1000, but
I don't have 30 years left in me.

So, has anybody done a workaround, conversion to manual?Â* From the
service manual it looks like there are 10 sets of contacts that close
in the timer.Â* Light switches are less than a dollar each, a little
more for 3 ways.Â* The functions are just fill, drain, wash, spin, how
hard can it be?Â* I looked at some youtube videos but they weren't
really helpful.Â* They wire directly to the motors rather than reusing
the timer wires.Â* Toggle switches would be more elegant but now we're
talking $4 per switch.Â* -

This would be really manual.Â* Flip the right switches for fill and
wash, in 10 minutes change to drain, 3 minutes to spin, etc.

The elegant way would be a Raspberry Pi or similar but then we need
relays.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* A quick search said the part wasn't available from one source.
The source suggested
putting the part number into a search engine.Â* I tried and came up with
Whirlpool parts.
https://www.amazon.com/maytag-washer-timer/s?k=maytag+washer+timer
Suppose the motor is bad.Â* What else would the motor be used for?
Dishwashers?Â* Can you see the numbers on the motor?Â*Â*Â* I'm out of ideas.

On second thought, Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw= washer+A484&_sacat=0
There's at least one used on the list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A quick search said the part wasn't available from one source.
The source suggested
putting the part number into a search engine. I tried and came up with
Whirlpool parts.
https://www.amazon.com/maytag-washer-timer/s?k=maytag+washer+timer
Suppose the motor is bad. What else would the motor be used for?
Dishwashers? Can you see the numbers on the motor? I'm out of ideas.

From the one parts website - the timer motor ~ looks like
the one on my water softener .. longshot but worth looking into ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

SSRs are a better option than relays if you are doing electronic
switching. They will run directly from CMOS.
If the thing is not advancing, it might just be the motor. The gear
train could just be gummed up.
I bet any timer from a similar machine would get it going tho.
Like you say the functions are the same. The timer just gives you
different options on how they get going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you are going to "bodge" it just get a timer from a different
model washer and adapt the wiring. Lots of late model washers get
scrapped with perfectly working timers. Take the wiring plugs with the
timer, dig out the scematics and patch the wires together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it is a whirlpool, amana, kenmore, roper, kitchen aid it may even
have the right plug.

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Good Idea / Bad Idea - Weird Idea Bob La Londe[_7_] Woodworking 2 June 3rd 14 05:47 AM
Lowering Lathe Speeds With A Rheostadt. OK idea? Bad idea? KIMOSABE Woodworking 7 February 19th 09 05:30 PM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
Brilliant Idea or Dumb Idea charlie b Woodturning 10 September 24th 06 03:18 PM